Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Adaptor Connector XPS420 problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gene_L

Gene_L

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

I have an Dell XPS420 Vista 32bit . A couple of months ago, my internet connection via the network adaptor connector on my tower/computer stopped working. I am positive it is not the Cat5 cord causing the problem. I was able to use the USB connectors on my modem and the tower/computer to re-route and connectivity to the internet is fine. However, I would like to fix the network adaptor connector problem. When I plug the Cat5 connector into it, it lights up and behaves like all is well, yet no internet. When I run the diagnostic tools, i get one of two error messages: "The network adaptor Intel®82566dc-2 gigabit network connection is experiencing driver or hardware related issues." OR " The network adaptor "Local Area Connection" is not correctly configured to use the IP protocol." When I check the configuration, it appears that all of the appropriate boxes are checked. I have tried re-setting the modem, switching plugs around, etc. Drivers have been updated. Any suggestions you may have are welcomed.

Edited by Gene_L, 26 May 2011 - 02:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:15 PM

Have you had any power issues recently?

#3 Gene_L

Gene_L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:16 PM

Negative, no power issues.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:21 PM

Its time to replace the card or add one.

#5 Gene_L

Gene_L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:24 PM

Forgive my ignorance, when you say "card", do you mean the Network Interface Card or the network adaptor connector port itself? Thanks.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:29 PM

The network Interface Card, if it is integrated then you will need to disable it in the BIOS first then add another card in an available PCI Slot. I would recommend going with Intel.

#7 Gene_L

Gene_L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:38 PM

Possibly my last question: given that I can connect to the internet via the USB connections, you still think my Network Interface Card is bad? Is the NIC only related to the network adaptor connector/plug-in? Thanks for your patience.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:01 PM

Yes the USB is a slower method of access, and to me should be used as a back up.

#9 Gene_L

Gene_L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:07 PM

OK, thanks so much for your assistance !

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:16 PM

You are welcome

#11 Gene_L

Gene_L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:41 AM

Just a wrap-up of my issue if others have the same problem: Upon opening the tower/computer, the NIC (adapter) was indeed "integrated". I purchased a NIC card at Best Buy for $25 and installed that separate from the integrated NIC. I went into my computer's "System Setup" via F2 key during startup and disabled the "integrated NIC". I installed the new drivers (cd came with the card), then plugged my internet cord into the new NIC slot, and BINGO, everything works !
If I need to do something else, please advise.
Continued Thanks.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:41 PM

You can call this issue resolved. As it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users