Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why do I have to get the a hard drive from the manufacturer in order to use a vista OEM license key?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 s4int

s4int

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:05 PM

Why do I have to get the a hard drive from the manufacturer in order to use a vista OEM license key?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

Does this key come on a lap top or desktop computer produced by Dell, Gateway, Lenovo, or other?

#3 Jim Ow

Jim Ow

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

You don't, and in most cases you don't even need the recovery media such as disks, as long as you have some Vista Installation disks your key should activate without an issue.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:16 PM

You don't, and in most cases you don't even need the recovery media such as disks, as long as you have some Vista Installation disks your key should activate without an issue.

Not entirely true, a key from Gateway will only work on a gateway machine and no other.

#5 s4int

s4int
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

I understand that some keys are tied to the bios of a laptop, or desktop from dell, gateway, etc... The Microsoft rep told me the hard drive specifically. Was he referring to the image on the hard drive? If so, does this mean that, specific disks now have specific keys depending on manufacture? This seems a bit shady considering they mostly don't send recovery disks anymore... (from my experience anyway)

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:28 PM

The hard drive itself could contain some code that will only allow a certain range of keys to work. Also some BIOS code can be loaded to hard drives to check for OEM status.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users