Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Redirect Virus?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 songbird72884

songbird72884

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:57 PM

I was pointed in the direction of this forum from a member of the PC Advisor forum, and I hope someone here can help.

I seem to be having some trouble with my browser/computer, and I'm thinking it might be down to the google redirect virus, but I'm not positive. My main cause for the suspicion is that, while most searches and site visits work fine, every half hour or so at least one link I click on will be redirected, with the alert from Avast that an attack has been prevented. Almost without fail, this will be accompanied by the message stating that a website with "66.230.188.67" followed by an incredibly long string of random characters is the culprit. This is combined with the URL bar showing the same IP/URL as in the detection message.

At the same time, I've been finding that my computer's slowing down a lot, as well as the browser occasionally freezing or crashing (though I'm not positive the last symptom is connected or not). Is this typical behaviour for the redirect virus? If so, how can I get rid of it. I've run scans with Avast, McAfee Stinger and MalwareBytes, none of which are showing any abnormalities, so I'm at a loss.

This evening, I did also have a similar occurrence, but this time with the IP address "64.111.211.155".

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium, with Avast Antivirus installed, and have been using Firefox for my browsing. As far as I'm aware, nothing new was installed or altered around the time that the symptoms started. I'm afraid this is the first time I've posted about something like this on a forum, so I'm not sure if I've included/ done everything required, so I apologise in advance if anything is lacking, and thanks also in advance for any help anyone can offer!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users