Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Run Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NewBGuy

NewBGuy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 01:50 PM

Hey all.

I'm having a rather large problem. Recently, my computer has been freezing up at the screen where all the user accounts would be listed. (Well, the screen would freeze up as I'm still able to move the mouse). Instead, it would just show the Windows XP logo and the blue screen. I've tried running Safe Mode to bypass this problem, but it leads me to the same screen as if it had normally booted up. I can provide a screenshot or more information if needed. Can someone please help me with this situation? Any help is very much appreciated.

Forgot to mention I'm using the Windows XP Home Edition.

Edited by NewBGuy, 05 January 2006 - 02:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:05 PM

If you cannot log-in via standard mode or safe mode, then you need a windows xp disk, not a oem recovery disk.

Make sure your computer will boot from the cd, if not go into your bios settings and change the boot order to have the cd drive ahead of the hard drive.

Then boot from the xp disk and you can try to use the recovery console. For information on how to do this go to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;314058

This is the first option you are offered when you boot from the windows disk. If it doesn't work, the next choice will be to reinstall or repair the os, choose repair and your settings, files and programs should be preserved.

Either way this should allow you to log in to your system. At that point I would make sure to do a thorough scan for viruses and other malware. The problem may have been caused by a corrupted os file, but it could be something else.

Good luck and let us know if this works.

#3 NewBGuy

NewBGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:19 PM

Will any xp windows disk work or was there one that is included when you buy the computer since it already had Windows XP pre-installed?

#4 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:20 PM

Any windows xp home disk should work, but you will need your 25 digit license. It should be on a sticker on the computer or with the paper work that came with the computer.

You may have received an xp disk with the computer, but most of the big computer guys are including recovery disks. The problem with these disks is that they restore the computer to the condition it was in when it left the factory. It may eliminate your problem, but any installed software and any of your files are also eliminated. So that is why it is best to try with an xp disk first. Ultimately you may be forced to use the restore disk, but hopefully you can solve the problem without going to that extreme.

If you can't find an xp disk, try calling your maker's help line and see if they will provide you with a real xp disk, they may charge you a nominal fee but usually much less than buying an xp home disk. You may also have to kick and scream and tell them you don't want to lose your files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users