Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any way to configure Windows backup to C drive only?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 funlover

funlover

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:35 AM

I have my C drive, another internal drive and 2 exterior drives. I have used Cobian backup for several years to backup documents daily. Just started using Win 7 recently and decided to use its backup for system files in case my C drive fails. My second external is new and it is 500gig. After the backup it only has 154gig remaining. Is there any way to stop it from backing up the other 2 drives? This is probably very simple, but i did google it and didn't find anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:45 AM

Personally I'm a fan of Disk Imaging software. Acronis Image (not free) and Macrium Reflect (free) are pretty much the best in their class. Easy to use, easy to backup / image whatever drive(s) you want, and best when saved to a second (internal or external) drive.

#3 funlover

funlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:04 AM

Thanks Allan...I'll take a look.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:14 AM

Here's a little blurb I put together regarding disk imaging:

Disk Imaging software takes a "snapshot" of your drive as it exists at the time you create the image. You can then restore the entire image or any file(s) or folder(s) you choose. It is a virtually foolproof way of backing up your system and providing a safe haven in the event of a catastrophe that requires you to blow away your system partition and restore it to a previous state. It also allows you to "test" various software and be confident that you have a the ability to return to the prior state any time you choose.
I use Acronis True Image. It is the best of breed, but it isn't free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect.
1) I create an image of my system partition once a week to a second hard drive and keep the 2 or 3 most recent images. I also image my other partitions about once a month. I always enable "verify image" in the options. It takes a little longer, but insures a valid image.
2) I also create an image before performing any drive level function (ie, changing the size of a partition) or making any significant change to the OS (installing a service pack, upgrading IE, etc). Also sometimes before installing new software.
3) Images may be created on any medium (cd, dvd, external drive, etc). For obvious reasons they should not be stored on the same drive you are imaging. The best option is a second internal hd if you have one.
4) Images may be created "in the background" within the OS. If you need to restore the system partition, that will need to be done before the OS loads. You can start the process within the application in the OS and it will then tell you it needs to reboot to finish the process. Alternatively, you can boot to a "recovery disk" which you can create when you first install the software (or to the application disk itself if you have one). Other partitions can be restored without a reboot.

#5 D Bone

D Bone

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:23 AM

As a first time image maker, I made a system image with the on-board windows 7 image tool on 3 separate DVDs, and I made a system repair disk too. That being said, what does the free version of macrium offer that the on-board windows 7 tool doesn't? I am completely new to this, so forgive me if its an obvious question to some.

Thanks!!
W7 x64 SP1 Home Premium - Gateway Router Firewall Fully Stealthed - avast! Internet Security 6.0.1125 - Winpatrol Plus - MBAM 1.5 - HMP 3.5 - Google Chrome Sandboxed - AdBlock

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:30 AM

Candidly I've been using Acronis True Image for many years and never even tried W7's internal imaging utility. But here's a thread you may find informative (the last post seems to be the most constructive): http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/136809-Disk-Image-Macrium-Reflect-vs-Win-7

#7 D Bone

D Bone

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:47 PM

Thanks! I may give it a try.
W7 x64 SP1 Home Premium - Gateway Router Firewall Fully Stealthed - avast! Internet Security 6.0.1125 - Winpatrol Plus - MBAM 1.5 - HMP 3.5 - Google Chrome Sandboxed - AdBlock

#8 thedoc8

thedoc8

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:05 PM

Thanks! I may give it a try.

I use the free built in backup in windows 7 and 10, simply click on make an image and let it go. I use for many computer and never have had a problem and it is always up to date and just works and easy to use. 

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:15 AM

If one wants to try things other than only Acronis and/or only Macrium Reflect-- one can also try...just to name a few of many:  AOMEI Backupper, EaseUS ToDo, Image for Windows [not free].  

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:52 AM

Wow - deja vu :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users