Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Failure detected in (E:), but I never had an (E:) drive before!?!?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 The Dionysian

The Dionysian

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:54 AM

This problem started when a warning started popping up upon startup. Here's what it said:

Windows detected a hard disk problem

Back up your files immediately to prevent information from blah blah blah blah

-> Start the backup process
-> Ask me again later
If the disk fails before the next warning, you could lose all of the programs & documents on the disk.

Details:

Immediate steps
Because a disk failure will cause you to lose all programs, files and documents on the disk, you should back up your important information immediately. Try not to use your computer until you have repaired or replaced the hard disk.

Which disk is failing?
The following hard disks are reporting failure:
Disk Name: WDC WD5000AAKS-00TMA0
Volume: E:\

END

Also something called "Intel Matrix" something or other said similar information:

View hard drive and volume status

A hard drive has reported that it might fail

(then there's a picture of two green cylinders. One on the left has the images of a blue cube, a blue pyramid, and a blue sphere inside of it. The right one has a yellow triangle with an "!" inside it. Words underneath the left one says "Port 0," the one on the right says "Port Unknown.")

Detail: A hard drive is reporting a SMART event.

Solution: Refer to the user's manual for replacement and recovery instructions.

Warning: All files may be lost and your system may become unusable if the hard drive fails.

SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) resides inside the hard drive. It tracks the hard drive condition and alerts the system to problems.

END

System is Windows Vista Ultimate SP2. Intel core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.39GHz. 3 GB RAM. 32 bit Operating System. Gateway PC model: GM5632E

So, the strange thing about all this is that there never was an E drive before. This is my boss' computer and I'm the tech here, so between the two of us we both use the computer often and can't ever remember there being an E drive. He did say that when he bought the computer about 4-5 years ago that they mentioned creating a RAID drive in the computer (or something to that effect). But he's never gotten around to using it for anything. The hard drive is a Terabyte, but what shows up is about 455 GB on the C drive and around 10.9 GB on D drive (recovery drive).

Now, when the computer still showed the E drive during the consistent warnings of hard drive failure, I went ahead and tried to right click on it to pull up the properties, but the computer locked up hardcore. Had to hard restart (hold the button in). Then went ahead into safe mode......er.....just to be safe. Then went to the E drive again to try and run check disk on it. Computer ALMOST locked up. Froze when I right clicked on E for about 3-4 minutes straight, but eventually brought up the drop down. Ran check disk. Check disk wouldn't go any further after reaching about 45% completion. So I closed check disk and tried running check disk on C drive. Oh, I checked both boxes, Automatically fix file system errors, and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

So restarted the computer to let check disk begin. Then I left the room and let it do it's thing. The receptionist here at work came and got me when it finished, so I didn't really get to read the screen to see if any errors were fixed etc.

However, the pop up warnings about a failing hard disk stopped and I noticed it doesn't show any E drive anymore.... just as it was before the hard disk failure warnings.

So, my question is:

What in the world happened here? Is this something I should worry about? Did this computer actually experience a hard disk failure? If so, now that it doesn't show an E drive, did this hard drive just lose half of its space? Where do we go from here?

Thanks
TheDionysian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

Well...

<<WDC WD5000AAKS-00TMA0>>

Is such drive attached to the system? Device Manager will reflect drive detail.

Louis

#3 The Dionysian

The Dionysian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:25 PM

Not sure. Can't check computer right now to see (office is closed). I did get news that it IS in fact popping up with more drive failure warnings again. Also, if you right click on E drive to try and get a drop down menu, pc locks up solid. Have to hard restart. As if it gets into an endless algorithmic loop of "access E drive...but there is no E drive....but it shows an E drive....but there is no E drive....".

What could be the situation either way: there is or is not WDC WD5000AAKS-00TMA0 attached to the system?

#4 The Dionysian

The Dionysian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:31 AM

We decided to just go ahead and replace the hard drive anyway. I might take the old hard drive home with me and see if I can figure it out for myself though.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:17 AM

Well...there may be nothing wrong with the hard drive...there are malware items that report false error messages about system components, system status.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users