Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Redirect, Desktop Icons Missing, Radio Plays in Background

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bails

Bails

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:18 AM

Hello,

I am new to this forum and of course in desperate need of some guidance. A few days ago, my husband's laptop (Windows XP SP3) became infected (his Trend Micro subscription expired). He said that while browsing, all of a sudden music and commercials started playing in the background, a small window appeared and stated the system would shut down (there was a countdown timer in the window). Upon reboot, all of his desktop icons were missing, and very few programs appeared in his start menu.

This happened on May 24th. I restored the system to May 21st and most of the desktop icons reappeared (program icons) but many appeared transparent (document icons), and I think all of the Start Menu's programs returned. I later found that the Hidden attribute for the files on the Desktop was turned on, so I turned that attribute back off and those icons reappeared in full. But I could not get rid of the background music/commercials. I also noticed that while I used IE to look for solutions, the popup window which shut down the system would return frequently. I could not download certain software (MalwareBytes) using IE and a lot of times I would get redirected from a Google search. I was able to download MalwareBytes using Safari for Windows. I ran MalwareBytes and corrected some infections, but the problem with the music/commercials and shutdown still remains.

This morning, I shut off the wireless card and I haven't exeperienced these 2 problems, but we really need to get back on the net. There is one other symptom, my husband also uses Webshot's calendar desktop which hasn't updated since the 24th. I would really appreciate someone's help on this.

Thank you so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:33 AM

Hello Bails and welcome to BC. :)

Do you still need help?

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

Member of UNITE (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators) 

#3 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:46 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days. Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

Member of UNITE (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users