Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP updates will download but wont install.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Rocking Rodney

Rocking Rodney

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:52 AM

Hi Guys
For the past two days I've had updates that wont install onto my computer. As soon as they finish installing another little yellow shield appears near the clock telling me there are updates ready to install again and they are the same ones. This keeps happening over and over with the same updates.
The updates are: KB979909 KB982168 KB2446704 KB2418241
I've checked in the add and remove program list in control panel and they are definitely not there. Ive tried to download them one at a time and with my anti virus turned off but still no go. This has been happening since 24/5/11.
I had an update installed on the 23/5/11(KB960043) without any problems which is on my Add and Remove Program list which makes me think that maybe it's a Microsoft update problem and not a problem with my pc.
Anyone have any idea for a fix for this?

Many thanks in advance Rod.

Edited by hamluis, 31 May 2011 - 10:09 AM.
My error.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:08 AM

Those 4 appear to be the 3.5 .net framework updates - possible damaged framework components.

See this link where an answer was given by Microsoft relating to the 2nd update, but it should be relevant to all.

Seems that an uninstall, cleanup and reinstall should take care of the problem.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/update-repeatedly-attempts-to-install-kb982168/fe366a5a-9cfd-4ad7-a355-814f21c7bed2

#3 Rocking Rodney

Rocking Rodney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for that Pete. I will try this over the weekend and get back to you.

Rod

#4 Rocking Rodney

Rocking Rodney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:17 AM

Yeah Pete thanks for that.
I did everything you suggested and uninstalled the 3.5 framework then did a re install without any problems but it didnt make any difference. The 4 same updates are still coming back and not able to install.
If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Rod

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:59 AM

What versions do you now have installed ? Check Add /Remove.

You could try uninstalling all versions; work backwards - most recent version should come off first.

The dotnetfix tool is a last resort, when for some reason, you just cannot uninstall through Add / Remove.

Let us know if you are still seeing versions in Add / Remove, or if you get errors when trying to uninstall.

If all are removed successfully, install:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

(use the link in the Microsoft reply, unless you saved
the 231MB file to disk - save and execute later, rather than run when the download box appears).

You should then check Windows Update.

Had a problem with the .net framework 18 months ago.
It took me THREE days to get it right and it did involve cleanup / uninstall / reinstall, ad infinitum/nauseam.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:56 AM

I had the same problem a few months ago. The only thing I did differently is I did not reinstall any of the versions of .NET Framework that I uninstalled. You might not need them. No more .NET Framework updates and no issues because I chose not to reinstall them. .NET Framework is not an essential program unless you are running an application that uses it. And different apps use different versions.

#7 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:07 AM

Hey Frank

I agree. I took them all off recently when I was sorting out a different problem with Windows Update.
(Not relevant as it happened, but I was trying everything).

I don't appear to be running any programs that need them and if I do in the future, I expect to be prompted for an install.

#8 Rocking Rodney

Rocking Rodney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

Hi guys thanks for the replys.

I have .Net framework 2.0 SP 2, .Net framework 3.0 SP1, and .Net framework 3.5 SP1

I have to say that between the time I uninstalled 3.5 and before I re-installed it, the little yellow shield near the clock did disappear until I re-installed. I also noticed that when I just checked what versions I have it said 3.5 was last used on the 26/07/2009 so maybe Frank is right in saying it's not needed so I might just get rid of it until I need it. Or I could try uninstalling and re-installing again.

I will have a fiddle with it anyway and see what I come up with. Whatever happens I will get back to you in case someone else here has the same problems.

#9 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:20 AM

Probably best to start a new thread, specify the update KB numbers and their description and the specific error messages you get with each.

#10 Rocking Rodney

Rocking Rodney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:49 PM

Hi Guys
Nothing has changed over the weekend I still cant get my updates to install.
I'm dropping my computer off this morning at my local repair shop. I was talking to the fellow who owns the shop yesterday and he's confident he can fix this without any major dramas. He may need it for a few days though but
I'll let you know what the outcome was.

#11 Rocking Rodney

Rocking Rodney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:31 AM

Well I got my computer back this afternoon and it's working fine without any annoying update bubbles appearing. :thumbsup:

This is what the fellow did to fix it.
He uninstalled all the .network frames 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, and 3.5 SP1 then re-installed them one at a time, then updating each one before re-installing the next one.

I checked out the update list in Add or Remove programs and they are all there with todays date on them including the ones that wouldn't download the past few days. :thumbup2:

Hope this helps anyone else who has these issues.

#12 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:51 AM

Rocking Rodney

Updating between installs should not be necessary, but, whatever works for you.
Glad you're sorted, thanks for letting us know. :)

Mod Edit: Removed comment re thread-jacker...in the future just use the Report button to report such for Mod action ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 31 May 2011 - 10:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users