Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making WoW Highest Priority on Startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tybudd

Tybudd

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:19 AM

I wanted to know if this was possible, and what is needed in order to make it happen. At times other processes are running at the same time that I'm playing World of Warcraft. I know that after WoW is started, I can go into my Task Manager and manually put wow at the highest priority, but I have questions about that:

• Is there a way to make it so, when you start wow.exe it automatically starts off in the highest priority?
  • Does playing wow in the highest priority actually help performance, even ever so slightly?
  • Is there a rish to playing a game like wow, in the highest priority, that background programs might cause an issue?

Edited by hamluis, 26 May 2011 - 10:45 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Computer Gaming.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mute20

mute20

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:28 PM

I don't think setting highest priority really does anything. You should look to closing most application that you are not using like anti virus since you are not browsing and just playing wow.

#3 Tybudd

Tybudd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:15 PM

I don't think setting highest priority really does anything. You should look to closing most application that you are not using like anti virus since you are not browsing and just playing wow.

Wouldn't that be dangerous to turn off the anti-virus, I heard that most keyloggers lay dormant until you activate certain programs, is this incorrect.?

#4 mute20

mute20

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:36 PM

Wouldn't that be dangerous to turn off the anti-virus, I heard that most keyloggers lay dormant until you activate certain programs, is this incorrect.?

This does not make a lot of sense. If you already had a keylogger you would likely had all your information stolen already for everything.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:00 AM

Setting a processes priority will have an impact, but only if there are other programs running which are dominating the CPU.

There are a number of programs which can alter other programs processor priority and affinity automatically (including this one that I wrote, or this other one that I've heard some good things about but have never tried.)

If you computer meets the recommended specs for WoW and WoW is still running slowly then malware may certainly be the culprit. Run a full system scan with your antivirus (fully updated) and possibly try one of the good online scanners like this one: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

If the scanners find anything they can't remove or if you feel as though you may be infected anyway, you may post a malware analysis log in the Malware Logs forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users