Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware called "Malware Protection"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 conveniently

conveniently

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:10 PM

Hello Bleepers:

I searched for this malware name on your site and I cannot find.

I am sure it is like other of these falsely named Security Prevention malwares as well.

I tried rKill (as iexplore) and it was prevented from opening. Malwarebytes prevented from opening.

Has anyone had experience with this one and determined the procedure to remove?

Thanks for any and all help

Edited by Budapest, 26 May 2011 - 12:02 AM.
Moved from XP ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cathryn888

cathryn888

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:56 PM

I am having the same problem. It just appeared. I had RKill and Malwarebytes already downloaded and it disabled them both. It also disabled my internet as well as my task manager. I am so frustrated with these viruses. I only got rid of the windows recovery a few hours ago. I need my computer to work from home and am having a terrible time with this. Please let me know what can be done to fix it. Thanks

#3 N.E.

N.E.

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:54 AM

Sometimes, renaming the malwarebytes program (mbam.exe) to something else (a1234.exe) may allow it to run. You may have to try it in Safe Mode too if it doesn't work in normal mode. Some malware is better than others at stopping you from getting rid of them.

Neal

#4 conveniently

conveniently
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:00 AM

Thanks! I discovered how to get into safe mode and that allowed me to stop it.

This happened at a Starbucks wifi location. I just spoke to someone else that a similar issue happened to at the same wifi location.

Can a hijacker do something to the web site there?
Or are they jumping on the wireless?

What sort of nefarious ways could be based on the Starbucks wifi?

I am no fan of Starbucks but it is open later than other locations here.

Thanks,

Andrew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users