Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shirazette

Shirazette

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 01:04 PM

Hi - Since my three month free trial of Office ran out and the computer reverted to what it came with, the spell checker in my email doesn't work. It is there but permanently greyed out. Nor does F7 do anything. I have Windows XP. However, spellcheck does work in my Word documents.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 01:30 PM

You must have Office installed for the spell-check in Outlook Express to work, or to spell check your existing Word documents.
There are some freeware applications that will give you spell checking functionality for OE. I have not used these and therefore cannot warrant their usefullness, but here is one offered by a reputable source:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2952

A long term solution would be to abandon OE and MS Office and replace these with Mozilla's Thunderbird (and their browser, Firefox, for that matter) and to download OpenOffice.org, which is an robust office suite that is generally compatible with MS Office files. All of these are completely free and I can recommend them without hesitation.

http://www.mozilla.com/

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 14 January 2006 - 08:41 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Shirazette

Shirazette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:52 AM

Thanks very much John I'll look into these.

Sorry about the delay in replying I've only just discovered your posting!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users