Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NEw Desktop Advice-Template

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 panicpimp

panicpimp

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:55 PM

Hey Gang,
I am still searching for a new computer and wanted to thank everyone that has thus far given me advice. I saw the template for buying a new computer and wanted to fill it out and see what everyone thinks.

My budget for the new computer is: 1000

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? I will be sending emails, web browsing and playing some games like world of warcraft, the new starcraft, diablo II and diablo III when it comes out. Maybe some other games but those for sure. What software do you intend on using on the computer? Micrsoft office
Do you play games? If so, what type of games? listed aboveDo you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? i do not run many programs at the same time
Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? no, I keep that on an Imac I have I might keep some pics and music on my new comp but i would prob just buy an external hard drive
I have been looking around Richmond at stores like best buy and Costco and weighing my options. I really would like a good size monitor, like atleast 20 inches or bigger is possible. I went to costco the other day and they had an HP 6751 pc bundle with a 23 inch monitor for $699. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

I have posted two topics in this forum already, and hope I am not being bothersome, I just want to try and use my money wisely. Thanks for all your help!

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:52 AM

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz -$225

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 LGA 1155 - $180

Ram: Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - $43

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W - $85

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 - $60

Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM - $90

GPU: ASUS EAH6850 DC/2DIS/1GD5/V2 Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 - $175

Optical Drive: LITE-ON Black 24X 2MB Cache SATA - $24

Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/Speakers - $150

Total: $1055.9 including shipping and excluding taxes.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:03 PM

For the best price, selection, and quality...for an off-the-shelf system...buy online. Reputable vendors of such systems include Tiger Direct, Dell, HP, Newegg and others. The www.bizrate website is a decent tool for comparing/shopping.

For a monitor...buy locally (unless you are in a small/isolated area). I find that Walmart has decent monitors at good prices (you can compare them with online) but Walmart is just one possibility. The key is to look around, find one that you like visually...then compare the cost to purchasing same online.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users