Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding 2nd HDD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 johndepere

johndepere

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

Hello all,
I have installed a second (ide) hard drive on my computer and all is well except that the newly install drive is always powered up and running. Is this normal? I was thinking that it would start up only when I wanted to access it. I have tried different jumper combinations between it and the cd drive but it is still always on. It is on a two connector ide ribbon with the cd drive in the master position and the new 2nd drive in the slave position, also the main hdd is sata. There are multiple power connectors which I have tried on the drive but I still get the same results. The computer is a H.P Pavilion a120n. Any help would be great. Thank you. John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:59 PM

Internal hard drives are always powered on. This is normal.

#3 johndepere

johndepere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:16 PM

Thank You Allen!!! I was hoping that to save on power consumption the 2nd hdd would be idle when not being used. Thanks again for your quick reply. John

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:21 PM

What you can do is set the hd(s) to power down after a defined period of inactivity in Control Panel - Power Options.

But I assure you, the power consumption is minimal.

#5 johndepere

johndepere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:38 PM

Thanks Allan, I will give that a try and also sorry for misspelling your name on my last post...

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:49 PM

You're welcome. And you're not the first and won't be the last, but thanks for noticing :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users