Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SMTP auth. insanity w/Windows Mail

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 OS51

OS51

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:44 AM

Hey. So I guess it's been a while since I've seen a computer do something so incredibly idiotic and so obviously stupid, but here it is: Everything's entered in the right fields in the options settings for server connections, and yet my bloody Windows Mail is trying to send e-mails OUT over POP3, when an SMTP server is clearly listed as the outgoing mail server, the POP3 server being for incoming mail. And when I try to send it, a message comes up from "Windows Security" asking to verify credentials to connect to the server, but if I put in my e-mail ID (just the ID part or the full thing including the "@juno.com") and password, the box will just reappear. And I think there's no mistake, because it's saying it's trying to send messages over the POP3 server. However, one odd thing is that if I uncheck the "my outgoing mail server required authentication" box, it will get an error message saying the server does indeed require authentication. However, I suppose the POP3 server DOES require authentication anyway and it's just getting that error to log on, even if it ultimately can't use it as an outgoing mail server.

I'm going to leave that paragraph up just in case it's helpful, but then I realized that the account name (within Windows Mail) and the server URL were entered as the same thing, so I changed the account name to "Standard Email" so I could differentiate between account name and server in the error messages. My mom (it's her e-mail) also told me that if you shut the WiFI off and try to send it, you can get an error message about Frontier (the SMTP outgoing server is smtp.frontier.com), which I did, which is what made me think of changing the name. But, then, I reconnected the internet, went back, and tried to send them again to get the updated error messages, and now it won't even try to send mail, just checks for new. Even if I specifically click on "Send All," it just comes up with its little dialog box saying "The requested tasks were completed successfully," and in the "Tasks" tab, it doesn't even LIST the send operation. What is this? The problem may be slightly different than I thought it was, but it's still insanity.

Let me take this opportunity to say...
I HATE WINDOWS.

Thanks folks,
-OS51

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users