Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing software

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yis

yis

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:27 AM

Hi .I was wondering why some programs some without installing and some dont?Also if i download something so its already on my pc ,what exactly happens when you install it?any clarification is appreciated very much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pachm

pachm

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:02 PM

if you download a program to your hd its like being on a disc, so you need to click on it to install the program into windows. So I guess you could say a downloaded program is a back up if you install it you can delete the original download, just as if you removed a disc from your dvd drive. hope this helps a bit.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:16 AM

I don't understand the above response at all, sorry. But to answer your question, it all depends on how a program is written and the complexity of the specific program. In order to run, many programs need to install .dll and other files into as well as entries into the registry. Some simple programs are "self contained" and require no installation at all - they are ready to run just by clicking on the .exe file. These programs also have no associated uninstaller (since there is nothing to uninstall). To "uninstalll" the program you simply delete the .exe file or the folder that contains it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users