Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble uninstalling windows XP recovery virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MattM450

MattM450

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:15 AM

My computer recently became infected with a virus that calls itself Windows XP Recovery. I followed all of the instructions listed in the thread I found on this forum http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-windows-xp-recovery , however many of my programs and files are still hidden. A lot of folders in my programs menu are just empty. I tried repeating the steps with my anti-virus off and in safe mode as well, but most of my files are still missing. Any ideas on what to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:24 AM

To make your files visible again, please download the following program to your desktop:

Unhide.exe

Once the program has been downloaded, double-click on the Unhide.exe icon on your desktop and allow the program to run. This program will remove the +H, or hidden, attribute from all the files on your hard drives. If there are any files that were purposely hidden by you, you will need to hide them again after this tool is run.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 MattM450

MattM450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

I already did that- I followed all the steps on the tutorial. I didn't purposely hide any files, yet all my files are still missing. I also did everything in Safe Mode just in case it would make a difference

#4 SweetTech

SweetTech

Agent ST

• Members
  • 13,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:29 PM

Hi!

You can try these 2 utilities to restore 2 folders in the Start Menu.

What else is empty from your Start Menu?

Restore Admin Tools Program Files Menu

Please download this tool here.

You will need to unzip the tool first.

Once you've unzipped the tool, please double-click on it to run it.

Click on the Restore Administrative Tools Items button.

As seen in this image below:

Posted Image

NEXT:

Restore Accessories Program Files Menu

Please download this tool here.

You will need to unzip the tool first.

Once you've unzipped the tool, please double-click on it to run it.

Ensure that the following check boxes are checked (as seen in this image below):

Posted Image

Once they are, click on the Restore button.

Have I helped you? If you'd like to assist in the fight against malware, click here Posted Image

The instructions seen in this post have been specifically tailored to this user and the issues they are experiencing with their computer. If you think you have a similar problem, please first read this topic, and then begin your own, new thread. I do not offer private support via Private Message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users