Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Removal Tool Program removal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nosmiley

nosmiley

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:30 AM

Hello:
I 'm not playing word games here. A month or two ago, I downloaded and ran the "Kaspersky virus removal tool". It found problems the other programs were missing. I followed directions and let it remove the problems. My big mistake was in keeping the program on the desktop to try again sometime. At some point WinUtilities, or Ashampoo Winoptimizer removed the Uninstall made by Kaspersky for this tool. The virus removal tool is not listed as a program, on Revo, Advanced Removal tool, or windows. It won't click to delete, but I feel it's a program, so maybe it shouldn't. It contains 321 MB,& 4890 files. Looking in permissions(security) of this "program", I seem to be lacking "Special Permission" . I'm afraid to tinker with permissions.
I would appreciate sincere , simple, step by step, help. I tried reinstalling a new Kas.virus removal tool, and then uninstalling it. Got rid of the new one , didn't touch the problem.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:04 AM

Try this tool at your discretion*.

The utility should pick up on any remaining traces of the program and display it on its list for removal.

* The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility is provided "as is" to help resolve installation problems for programs that use Microsoft Windows Installer. If you use this utility, you may have to reinstall other programs. Caution is advised.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:30 AM

Are these the instructions you followed? Be aware that this tool is frequently updated and should be removed after using. If needed at a future date, you should always download and use the most current version.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:34 PM

Hello again:
Thanks for the tips and ideas.Let me say quietman, I followed the virus removal directions, but it looks like I didn't follow all the directions for running the program. I kept the program, rather than allowing it to uninstall itself. Big mistake.
I went to the Windows Installer cleanup utility and installed that program. When it scanned , I got a list of 12-14 programs it planned to tinker with. Kaspersky, or virus removal tool wasn't on the list. The warning about possibly having to reistall programs scared me, since it listed so many, and not the virus removal tool.
I cancelled the cleanup, and uninstalled it.
I went back, and came across two files that basically stated : "Set up virus removal tool". Each of them had different MB's of material, but it totaled the same as that listed when clicking properties of " virus removal tool" icon on the desktop. I deleted each of them, then the empty file, and fixed my problem. I had permission to delete them when found listed individually. But not when they were named Virus removal tool. I learned something most people probably already know.The files are in the Recycle Bin for now.
Thank you.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:19 PM

You're welcome and we are glad to hear you resolved the problem. Persistence pays off.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users