Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About Wifi Connection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CASTIGLIANO

CASTIGLIANO

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 11:04 AM

i have a laptop and a desktop PC. The laptop hav wifi but the PC doesn't have. What do i need to but to connect them in network???? is PC to laptop connection possible? if i will connect 2 desktop PC and laptop what will i need to buy compared to 1 desktop and a laptop connection. help please fo genius out der!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 11:40 AM

You should be able to purchase a wifi card for the pc, but if you are going to be connecting several pcs, you should look into a wireless router and cards for each unit that's not wifi ready.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:58 PM

If all you want to do is network the PC and the laptop (e.g. to share files and printers) then you need "the world's simplest network" which is a Cat5e crossover cable. Plug this in your ethernet ports and use the Wizard to setup a home network. This only allows two computers to be connected.

If you want to network more than two computers and/or share your internet access then the best (and most versatile) solution would be to buy a wireless card and wireless router like dc3 suggested. You can get USB wireless adaptors but several members of BC report problems using them, you're better to get a PCI card that you install in the desktop. You can then connect your PCs to the router either with wireless or with Cat5e patch cables. Depending on your internet connection that can be connected to the router as well (but not dial-up). Then all your computers will be networked and have independant internet access.

Obviously there are far more details that I have not covered but you can post back for help on specific steps if you have a problem.

hth :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 05 January 2006 - 08:59 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:59 AM

Rimmer wrote

"Depending on your internet connection that can be connected to the router as well (but not dial-up). Then all your computers will be networked and have independant internet access."

Actually Rimmer, that's not true, Wiflyer can be used on dial up connections. :thumbsup:

http://www.wiflyer.com/StoreFront.bok

Edited by dc3, 06 January 2006 - 01:11 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 CASTIGLIANO

CASTIGLIANO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:25 AM

tanxs guys! I currently network my 2 desktop pc using crossover net. cable, but i just want to connect my laptop as well. I think ill try buying wifi card fo desktop and buying a router. can u recommend good brand/manufacturer of wifi card (pci) and the router????

tanxs!!!!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:38 AM

http://www.buy.com/prod/Linksys_Instant_Wi...3/10273696.html

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:31 AM

Linksys - yes, usb connected - no thanks!

I'm a bit of a fan of Netgear stuff myself but from what I read Linksys seems to have good products and support in the US (and they are part of Cisco now). Wait for a while and you may get some other opinions.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:03 AM

I agree with Rimmer on both counts. I have been using Linksys router since 1997. Even if you did not want to use it for internet access it is still the best way to LAN computers.
One point I that I found a solution to was the dialup router....
Dual Serial Port Router
It is alittle pricey though. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:03 PM

I thought of some thing else. In the days before HSI (DSL, cable,T-1,..) dialup ISPs used "shotgun". It simple was two dialup accounts linked using two telephone lines. Some ISPs probably still have it just because they haven't upgrade their equipment. In this case it would benefit you because the dialup router has two RS232 serial ports for two external 56k modems.
ISDN was the original consumer HSI in the US. 2 channels 64kbs per channel \data, 1-voice 14.4kbs voice\fax. The FCC made a joke of it by forcing the teleco to charge an obscene amount of money. It was like $100+\mo and $X.00 per hour. You could purchase only one data channel (64kbs) and the voice channel. That would just keep you from having a second phone line.
Check eBay for the used external modems they run about $20+- used.

I guess I went WWWaaay over the top on this subject. Sorry. Have a nice day.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users