Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Can't Be Read Errors All of a sudden

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Picollo30

Picollo30

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:35 PM

what are these errors and how do they start showing up for no reason?

I keep getting them specially on closing IE, Google Chrome, in the explorer.exe, or simply righ-clicking a file to see its properties.

is it a virus or does it have to do with virtual memory (pagefile)?

i have mine managed by the OS (XP Home 32bits). I have 4 GB Ram but XP 32 only recognizes 3GB, so i dont know which value to put. I have the following info on virtual memory (performance options)

Minimum: 2 MB
Recommended: 4605 Mb
Current: 3070 Mb

As i said the os is managing the pagefile, is it doing it ok?

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:11 PM

A 32-bit operating system has an Address Space of 4GB. This space is not only used by the RAM, but for other critical functions such as the system BIOS, motherboard resources, memory mapped I/O, AGP, PCI, PCI-E, and other memory allocations for PCI devices use this space as well.

Different onboard devices and different add-on cards (devices) will result in different total memory size. This means that the more PCI cards installed will require more memory resources, resulting of less memory free for other uses, like RAM. Typically a 32-bit operating system will recognize between 3.3GB and 3.5GB of total RAM.

Please post the exact error message you are receiving.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Picollo30

Picollo30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:42 PM

do i have to go to event viewer to see the errors?

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:23 PM

Does this topic concern the same computer as this topic? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic399392.html

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users