Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer hard drive says no space - why?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:42 PM

My computer hard drive says it has no space. It is an Acer computer, running Vista. The hard drive is split in 2 (one says Acer and the other says DATA). One side (DATA) says it has plenty of room, but nothing saves to it, while the other side (Acer) has everything saved to it and claims to be full. I've deleted plenty of files and programs and made space, but the next day it is gone again despite not saving or adding anything else. The amount of space I have changes, but always remains really low.

The hard drive has been in 2 parts since new, I didn't partition it myself.

Why is it stating I have no space and what can I do about it? It is possible to use the other half of the drive?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

Please download MiniToolBox and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size
Click Go and post the result.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:56 PM

Please download MiniToolBox and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size
Click Go and post the result.

I don't really want to download anything, especially as I don't know what that is. What is that and what is it doing? Cuz from what the list says you can see that info in My Computer anyway.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:58 PM

I want to see configuration of your hard drive.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:06 PM

I want to see configuration of your hard drive.

I see. While I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the download, my computer appears to think otherwise and I have enough problems without making it run something like that (especially as the problem is with the hard drive which I'd be saving that to). Any other way to tell you what you need to know without using other programs? Or just any idea what is causing it from what I've already said - any common problems?

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

MiniToolbox is a tiny file (360KB), so I'm sure, it'll fit into your drive.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:18 PM

MiniToolbox is a tiny file (360KB), so I'm sure, it'll fit into your drive.

It's not the size, it's the file type I think. It came up with some message saying about it wasn't sure if it was safe and it wasn't verified and whenever it has done that in the past my computer has reacted badly. I have a lot of weird problems with computers and I just don't want to make anything any worse. Thing is everytime I have a problem there's people telling me to download something different for it and half the time it isn't needed and often my computer does something weird cuz of it so I just prefer to not download anything else.

Edit:
Just attempted to update something which is about 200kb and it says it can't do it.

Edited by sn0zb0z, 24 May 2011 - 05:20 PM.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:29 PM

MiniToolBox is written by a staff member at BC and is perfectly safe to use.
Several of our tools are written by staff here.
If you dont want to take Broni's advice, thats perfectly up to you, but he is telling you exactly what you need to do.

You never did say what size you primary parition is and how much free space it has left.

Consider moving all pictures, music and personal data to the other drive.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:34 PM

As you can see under my avatar, I'm an official "BC Advisor" with over 9,000 posts on this board.
Do you think, I'd advice you to download something malicious to your computer?

Click "Start", click on "Computer".
Right click on C drive, click "Properties" and let me know, what's the drive size and how much of a free space you have there.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:31 AM

As you can see under my avatar, I'm an official "BC Advisor" with over 9,000 posts on this board.
Do you think, I'd advice you to download something malicious to your computer?

Click "Start", click on "Computer".
Right click on C drive, click "Properties" and let me know, what's the drive size and how much of a free space you have there.

No, that's why I said before I doubted it would be anything bad. But I can't help that my computer thinks otherwise and I've learnt better than to make it do summat it doesn't like.

Drive size says 144GB and free space says 79.3MB (at the moment). It's split into 2 though - that is for C. For D it says 144GB drive size and 143GB free.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:34 AM

With 79.3MB of a free space, your computer may not boot at all, next time around.
You have to start moving stuff from C to D immediately.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:49 AM

MiniToolBox is written by a staff member at BC and is perfectly safe to use.
Several of our tools are written by staff here.
If you dont want to take Broni's advice, thats perfectly up to you, but he is telling you exactly what you need to do.

You never did say what size you primary parition is and how much free space it has left.

Consider moving all pictures, music and personal data to the other drive.

Being told and my computer doing it are two different things. And if you knew all the problems my computers/laptops have had and the amount of things I've been told to download here you'd probably think differently - not one of my other computers/laptops run well anymore. So I know you are only trying to help and I'm glad, but I'm not a big fan now of downloading things and not knowing why or without trying other options first. Like I say though, it's my computer that's being weird about downloading it. I did try.

I do trust the people here and I've never been told to download anything bad. I always come here for advice, but my computers do some weird things and even things that should be simple end up being unexplained and unsolved. Anyhow, at least this computer is still running fine apart from that and hopefully this can be solved lol.

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:51 AM

Did you have a chance to read my previous reply?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:51 AM

With 79.3MB of a free space, your computer may not boot at all, next time around.
You have to start moving stuff from C to D immediately.

It's been like this for a few weeks. It's saying 59.6MB free now. I haven't done anything though so I don't know why it has dropped, it'll probably go back up in a minute. But I shall start moving stuff, thanks.

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

The amount of a free space will always fluctuate, due to a various reasons.
For instance, Windows will keep creating temporary files, which after a while may amount to a quite size.

With your size of a hard drive, you should have at least 10GB of a free space.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users