Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Recovery Virus removed, slow internet connection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 1thomas

1thomas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:37 PM

I've manually stopped the lastest version of the XP / Windows Recovery Virus with a combination of manually removing associated links and files from the registry (help from a youtube video), and also with the help of iexplore, unhide, and malware-bytes.
Scanned multiple times with malware bites to finally seemingly get it all.

Then I had to run the unhide.exe to see the hidden files again.

Then I had to copy the program files links back from c:documents and settings/*profilename*/Local Settings/temp/smtmp/1/*.* to c:Documents and Settings/*profilename*/Start Menu/

So far, so good. I also copied those moved start menu programs back to the /All Users/ and maybe one other user folder to fix their start menu too. (They didn't have their own recoverable start menu programs that I could find moved somewhere else).

Now, I notice that internet explorer doesn't allow internet access, and times out.
I've installed avira from a cd, and it was able to update through the internet connection, but at dialup speeds.
Something else is still wrong. I haven't messed with any Java uninstalls/reinstalls yet.
Any ideas where to start fixing the network connection based on what this virus may have done?
I'm currently scanning with Avira hoping it catches something.
--Avira caught and removed 1 virus. Problem still exists. Internet connection tests ok on other computer, same port.
Anyone else experiencing this from the new XP Recovery Virus?
I have removed older versions of it 3 times before on other systems without so much trouble.

Other programs that access the internet fail to connect. (Only thing that has been able to slowly connect that I'm aware of was Avira update). I installed firefox from a cd, just to try anyway, and it doesn't connect either.

I've also tried all the normal stuff, resetting the computer, modem, router, etc.
Something is choking and/or stopping internet access.

Edited by 1thomas, 24 May 2011 - 05:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1thomas

1thomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:47 PM

Nevermind.
Problem resolved. Was unrelated to the virus.

#3 SweetTech

SweetTech

Agent ST

• Members
  • 13,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:06 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

Have I helped you? If you'd like to assist in the fight against malware, click here Posted Image

The instructions seen in this post have been specifically tailored to this user and the issues they are experiencing with their computer. If you think you have a similar problem, please first read this topic, and then begin your own, new thread. I do not offer private support via Private Message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users