Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Partitioning in windows 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 seal6

seal6

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:59 PM

I have windows 7 ultimate installed on my dell Inspiron N5010 machine.I had a preinstalled windows 7 home basic.

I have currently 4 partitions:

OEM
Recovery
1 Primary partition with aorund 250 GB
1 extended partition with 2 logical drives.

Whats My Problem??

Out of the free 225 GB , the maximum available shrinked space available is 128 gb (thats is understable ,due to unmovable files ~hibernation files etc).I shrinked it to maximum capacity to create a new unallocated space of 128 gb.But when I tried to create a simple volume, it gave me an error~You cannot create a new volume in this unallocated partition beacause the disk has already maximum number of partitions.

I guess,out of the permissible 4 partitions in disk management without using any 3rd party software,I have used it all.And when I tried to create a new simple volume, it is creating another partition.

Real Problem:
How to create a logical drive from primary partition??

PS:I tried PM, but it gave me a launch error.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

I guess I wonder...why create logical partitions? I know of no advantage to be obtained from such.

Please post a screenshot from Disk Managment.

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:26 AM

Lot's of reasons to create partitions, not the least of which is separating data from the OS for easier backup and more safety in the event you ever need to blow away the system partition. I'm a big believer. I have at least half a dozen partitions per drive (and multiple drives) per system. Okay, maybe I overdo it a touch, but still... :)

#4 seal6

seal6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for replying people.You can mark this as fixed.

Well I had a root drive of around 250 gb , so just wanted to split it into 2 drives in order to decrease the seek time and also to effeciently organize my data. But whenever we create a new simple volume from the unallocated space that has been generated by shrinking the primary partition, it creates another primary partition. And Windows 7 only allows 4 partitions without using any 3rd party software.So, that is why I was getting the error because I already had 4 partitions ~ primary, OEM, recovery, and extended.

The best way is to install Easeus Partition Manager and create a partition just by a click.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:29 AM

FWIW: The question was...why create logical partitions, rather than primary partitions?

The reason that I asked is that creating a logical partition...which is part of the extended partition...tends to create relationships where problems in one affects the others. Creating primry partitions...creates individual, unrelated partitions with no dependencies between them.

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:40 AM

The reason that I asked is that creating a logical partition...which is part of the extended partition...tends to create relationships where problems in one affects the others. Creating primry partitions...creates individual, unrelated partitions with no dependencies between them.

Luis - I don't understand your statement. Can you please explain what dependencies you mean and how a problem in one partition can affect another?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users