Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing From Windows Xp Professional To Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Alwaysneedhelp

Alwaysneedhelp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:39 AM

My son's computer has Windows XP Professional on it right now. He ended up with the 'SpyAxe' problem. I do not have the Admin password for it so starting in safe mode and correcting that problem won't help me at this time. (GREAT instructions on how to delete that stuff though).

He has the Windows XP Home Installation CD and wants to load it on his computer and wipe out the professional version.

In the past, on other computers, I would just format the disk and load the XP Home installation CD. It is not letting me do that on this one.

Can someone tell me how I can wipe his computer of Professional and then load home version of windows.

I also saw on here where you can only install on one computer. I do own the copy of XP home and have loaded it on another computer in my home, but this would be loading the same XP home on my son's computer. Will I have trouble with this?

Thank you for any help you can give me on this.
Lots of thanks,
Always

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 11:49 AM

You cannot legally load your version of XP Home on a second computer. The license you have is valid for one and only one computer unless you have an Enterprise version which is unlikely, and almost impossible for a home version. Enterprise versions are sold to companies that run more than 250 computers and is a bulk license subscription, and corporate entities would run XP Pro, not XP Home as XP Home doesn't have anywhere near the security abilities of XP Pro.

By the way, you do not "own" the license - Microsoft retains ownership.

Try logging in as "admin" or "administrator" without using a password. That might work if you never set an administrator password and left the default account open.

Do you have the original Microsoft Windows XP Pro Installation disk for the computer along with the "key" that came with it? (or a complete restore disk provided by the computer manufacturer?).

If you do not, the computer manufacturer may be willing to provide a copy (usually for a fee, but much lower than the price of a new install version) for the one registered to the computer.

If you do have it, or get it, you may be able to format the hard drive and do a fresh installation, allowing you to reset the admin account, but you will still need the valid "key".

By the way, XP, either Home or Pro requires validation with Microsoft within the first thirty times the system is booted or it will shut down and deny further access, so you need the valid key that came with the installation disk. They will recognize a previous installation on a different computer.

The upgrade version of XP Home cannot be used to "upgrade" a version of XP Pro to XP Home. It would require a full install version to do a fresh install after the disk was formatted if that's what you really wanted to do.

Edited by Enthusiast, 05 January 2006 - 12:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users