Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What raid stripe size should I go for?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 I.Tstudent

I.Tstudent

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:15 PM

Hi

I built a new computer. It has an I7 950 Quad core with hyper threading and 6GB of DDR3 ram. When I purchased my two hard drive WD 1TB each at 7200rpm, I thought they would be ok. When I load my backup to the system, the OS becomes sluggish. I did ram tests and malware checks. The only conclusion is my hard drives are a bottle neck. The disk qeue was set a 1 in performance manager. This should be below 1 as far as im aware, it was also highlighted in red by the system.

My mobo supports raid hardware setup. I created a raid 0 at 128k size. Seems to function quickly. But I got traped in the world of changing the sizes to see whats better. I changed the size to 16k and again, seems to be ok.

Another question, striping doesent increase the spindle speed (7200rpm), it just increase the read and write speed?

I have dual booted the system, win 7 pro for normal work. I plan on getting a good game (not really the gaming type, but want to try out on the new system). The other partition is server 2008 r2 with hyper V. I use this to create test network. It was here that I found everything sluggish to load, to the point I was cracking up :/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:15 AM

I am assuming the drives are SATA? Have you enabled SATA in the BIOS? By.default most motherboards operate in legacy or IDE emulation mode

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 I.Tstudent

I.Tstudent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:30 AM

Yeah bios and raid driver is sorted. My networking tutor said a 64 bit system will need 128. So I have stuck with that. I also moved my page file to an non raid drive that I borrowed from college. This brought my disk queue length down to 0.26 when the system was idle. When it was actually ding something like downloading updates and running a cd at the same time it averaged at 2- 6.
The non raid drive had major problems and crashed my system three times.

I'm now using ready boast, with a 2gb flash pen. It seems to do the job. I bought cod4 and it plays well, but sometimes there is a bit of lag. I may have to buy a no thrid drive and put my paging file on it, as the paging file needs to be 6gb plus 2 or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users