Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Recovery Virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stillbleeping

stillbleeping

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

I got the Windows Vista Recovery virus yesterday. I found this site and followed the removal instructions, including downloading and running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Rkill, and UnHide. Afterwards, everything seemed to be back to normal, but only after I got a few error messages upon rebooting (such as the following which "stopped working and was closed": Windows SQM Consolidator, Microsoft Windows Search Indexer, Superfetch, & Host Process for Windows Services). I have no idea what those are, but like I said, things seemed to be back to normal after those error messages were displayed, so I thought I was good to go. THEN today, I noticed I was missing all kinds of stuff from my Start Menu. I re-added shortcuts for many of the programs I use most to my Start Menu using the "Pin to Start Menu" function, but in the process, I noticed my calculator was completely missing from my Accessories folder (I had to go the Windows System32 folder to find it). Also, Microsoft Publisher is missing from my MS Office Folder (although I can still open all my .pub files, I just can't create a shortcut like I could with excel and word), AND when I try to do a search using the "All Programs" function from my Start Menu (I have Dell Studio laptop), MOST of the folders listed are empty...it actually reads (empty) when I click on them. I have to go through "My Computer" to actually find all those program files. What in the world happened here? If you can help, I would really appreciate it!

Also, in my Program Files, I noticed there is a file folder titled "Windows Vista Recovery". Should that be there?!!? It includes an uninstall function, so maybe it's legit.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:03 PM

It looks like you're still infected.

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users