Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using 2nd Wireless Router To Enxtend Wifi Ran

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DJboutit

DJboutit

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:22 AM

I am using a linksys wrt54g router the computer trying to connect is about 70ft from router & the computer is to far away to connect to the router using wifi. Would it be possable to get a 2nd range to extend the wifi range of the org router?? I am looking at getting a D Link DIR-815 wifi router & D Link DAW-140 USB Adapter, so could I place the new wifi router in a room half way between the org router to extend range to the computer?? If I am able to extend the wifi range with a 2nd router how would I go about setting this up??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:44 AM

70 Ft isn't very far what type of adapter do you have on the computer? That router will not act has a bridge you would need something like This. A standard router connects directly to the internet via its WAN port then broadcast the internet over wireless. You may be able to just replace the Linksys with the D-link and solve the problem all together. 802.11N has an average range of 230 Ft. The range of the signal can be dramatically affected by interference from home wireless telephones and building obstructions such as walls and electrical wiring. If you are using the router in a standard home you could get up to 115 feet for 802.11A and more from 802.11B.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 DJboutit

DJboutit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:15 PM

I am planning to use a DWA-140 usb adapter on the computer that is about 70ft away

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

What are you currently using? Just trying to understand why the range is so limited.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 DJboutit

DJboutit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:05 PM

I use to a linksys internal wifi card it did not have enough singal to connect to the internet. Also using a Archos 605 video player with wifi at 70ft it will not connect to the net same distance as computer

Edited by DJboutit, 24 May 2011 - 03:07 PM.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:22 PM

What kind of computer are we working with here?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 DJboutit

DJboutit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:18 PM

Older 3ghz with 1gb ram

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:22 AM

You can replace your current router with the new one and you should have good range. The new one will not connect through wireless to your existing router. Your range will be limited by building type and outside interference. The WRT54G is an older router and it may be damaged.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 JohnnyD45123

JohnnyD45123

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:23 AM

You could try putting a 3rd party firmware on your existing wrt54g. Almost all versions of the linksys wrtg4g can be re-flashed to a better firmware. I put DD-WRT firmware on my ol linksys to turn it into a wireless receiver/repeater and it doubled the range of the signal compared to the original firmware. I have a signal at 800m line of sight. Here's a link to check your router's version and compatibility with DD-WRT. If you really love your WRT54G, don't do this option, survival is not guaranteed. It also helps to have a little computer knowledge but the process is basic and very well detailed.

One more thing, I have an archos gen7 series 5. In order to connect to the internet, I have to be close to the router (<25m), but once connected, the internet works even at a distance where I previously couldnt connect. Also, there is a certain way to hold mine (or not to hold) in order to achieve better wifi. Check you owners manual in your settings. And, if you are tired of getting nickeled and dimed by Archos for every plugin, check out forums.archosfans.com and search "guy fawke". Good day, sir.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users