Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Flash Drives Not Working

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 shadcrkd

shadcrkd

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:37 AM

When I plug in my flash drive into my computer's usb port, no new drive pops up in My Computer. All other kinds of usb devices work (mouse, etc) but each one of my 5 flash drives doesn't. I have to go to admin tools in control panel, click computer management, disk management, then assign it a drive letter, but it still doesn't show up in my computer, though I can acsess it. The weird thing is After I remove the flash drive, I can't use that letter again and now I see 6-7 drives in browse boxes, say in Microsoft word when I'm opening a document. How can I make the usb flash drives work and fix the drive letter problem..?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:48 AM

what version of windows are we talking about??

#3 shadcrkd

shadcrkd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 01:26 PM

Windows XP Home SP2

#4 shadcrkd

shadcrkd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:47 PM

Anyone?

#5 infinity

infinity

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:05 PM

Try this, plug in the flash drive then go into the device manager (or type devmgmt.msc in RUN then click ok) look for the flash drive, then right click on it and uninstall the driver and then remove the flash drive then reinsert it it should find it again.

I had the same problem and this fixed it for me.

#6 shadcrkd

shadcrkd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:21 AM

Still doesn't show up..=(

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:44 PM

This is just a shot in the dark, but I'd try uninstalling and then reinstalling your USB drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 shadcrkd

shadcrkd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:17 PM

Still nothing..o.o

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:27 PM

Put the flash drive in a known good XP computer other than yours. See if Windows automatically detects the drive then. That will help isolate the cause of the problem to either your machine or your drive. Report back.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#10 shadcrkd

shadcrkd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:04 PM

Works absolutely fine on my dad's computer..that means it's my computer thats messing up..

#11 shadcrkd

shadcrkd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:02 PM

*bumpzors*

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 02:17 AM

Got any errors in Event Viewer? (Start...Control Panel..Administrative Tools...Event Viewer)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 shadcrkd

shadcrkd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:38 AM

Nope none..:thumbsup:

#14 shadcrkd

shadcrkd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 06:56 PM

*bumpy*

#15 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:19 PM

Works absolutely fine on my dad's computer..that means it's my computer thats messing up..

Good test. Thanks for that. I know it sounded obvious, but I had not seen in this thread that you had tried that, and I like to 'prove' where the problems lie.

I wonder what would happen if you put the drive in the usb port, and then tried to force Windows to see it and install it by going to:

Start > Control Panel > Classic View > Add Hardware
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users