Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DSL & Wireless Security Systems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 charingmartin

charingmartin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:36 PM

My apartment complex changed from a telephone based security system to a wireless security system, now my DSL is spotty to say the least. For 5 years I had no trouble with DSL here in my apartment. The first week of May the security system was changed to a wireless security system. Now I get DSL for only a couple of hours 1 or 2 days a week. That's it. Other renters have had the same problems. Is there anything that can be done? I have called Verizon about 22 to 25 times. Technicians came out 2 times. One just said I need a new modem, the other put a line filter on the wireless system. Neither of these fixes worked. The help number I call at Verizon just wants me to get a new modem, they seem to be fixated on the idea that the modem doesn't work and that I need a new one. I don't think it is Verizon's problem, but I am not sure whose problem it is. Has anyone ever heard of this problem or any fixes for it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WillShattuck

WillShattuck

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:48 AM

Hi charingmartin,

Welcome to the Bleeping Computer forums. It sounds like that the new Wireless Security System's wi-fi is interfering with your DSL wi-fi? I'm not completely clear that this is the issue. Could you please provide a few more details about your home networking setup?

If your home networking is wi-fi (wireless) then it sounds like the wireless security system may be broadcasting on the same channel or frequency as your home wireless networking. You might need to work with Verizon on changing the channel or frequency that your wireless is using. Most modern DSL/Cable modems come with a built-in wireless networking system.

Let me know some more details and let's see if we can figure this out.

WIll

#3 charingmartin

charingmartin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:31 AM

Hi Will, and thanks for getting back with me. For my DSL I have a conventional DSL modem.It is a Westfell 6100 modem. It isn't wireless. The alarm system however is wireless. The alarm system has a node on the wall and the label says "Network Multifamily". No product number or any other information on the node. I work at Comcast (Yes, I know it is strange to stay with Verizon, but I've had nothing but great experiences with Verizon so far... over 25 years of phone service, and internet service, so I have stuck with them) and the tech manager told me when I ran it by him that it was an easy fix. He'd seen it several times. I'll ask a tech supervisor at work tomorrow about it and if he has an idea I'll post it here. Thanks again for getting back to me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users