Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excruciatingly SLOW computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jt1990

jt1990

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:27 PM

My wife is currently using a Dell Inspiron 8500, P4 2.4GHz, 1.5GB RAM, 100GB hdd, Windows XP Home, and it is SLOW. I've cleaned out temp files (Both ATF Cleaner and using the Firefox "clear history"), ran a Defrag, and cleaned out almost everything in MSCONFIG. It's got Avira Free on it, and the biggest programs are MS Office, Adobe Creative suite (all the startup items for that disabled) and Rosetta Stone. She runs Firefox (est. less than 30 tabs atm). The virtual RAM had been set to go from 2-4GB (I changed it back to system managed). It takes her a full minute to scroll a webpage, and watching YouTube videos is out of the question. I believe it's got SP3 on it, and she's running a version of Firefox 3.6. I'm up to Firefox 5 Beta now, but I never had an issue running that many tabs in Firefox 3.6 on my computer (similar specs, P4 2.8GHz, 1.5GB RAM, XP SP3) It takes forever to load applications (Word, OneNote, etc) as well.

I'm 95% certain that the problem isn't Malware (Although I haven't run a MBAM scan). I'm an experienced tech, and I'm at my wits end. Does anyone have any more suggestions? There's hardly any data on the computer (probably less then 2GB worth if I had to guess...)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LateNightLife

LateNightLife

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:19 AM

Take a look at the thread HERE and check if there's any cleaning steps you missed.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:23 AM

1) Start by running full system scans with BOTH your anti virus app and MalwareBytes
2) DO NOT use msconfig to manage startup items. MSCONFIG is a diagnostic tool only. Instead, use a simple dedicated app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml)
3) How does the system run in safe mode?

#4 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:36 PM

Hello jt1990,

In addition to the above listed steps, you may also want to check your CPU usage.

Hold down Ctrl and Alt then press the delete key.
This brings up the task manager.

Check under the Performance tab--your current CPU usage should be listed.

Under the Processes tab--Click the CPU heading twice--this should list the programs using the CPU from highest to lowest. Research what is listed there if it's anything other than System Idle Process.

Let us know what you find.

bloopie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users