Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fake XP Anti Spyware 2011 Virus scan

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 grg.clny

grg.clny

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:08 PM

I have XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3. THE virus scan window pops up
with the name XP Anti Spyware 2011-Unregistered Version. I used the Windows Task Manager to close it.
Zone alarm also asked for ten.exe (I think was the name) to access the internet. I clicked on deny.
I shut down the computer and I am using a different one to post this message.
I have Avira Anti Virus, Malwarebytes, Super AntiSpyware, CCleaner and Spyware Blaster already installed.
It has been a while since I have posted about a virus problem, but I am familiar with the process.
Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:11 AM

Try this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 grg.clny

grg.clny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:40 PM

I went to the link and followed all the steps to fix the XP Anti-Spyware 2011 virus.
Malwarebytes did find 5 threats and I removed them. I ran the Personal Software Inspector and updated everything.
The only problem I still have is my Window Automatic Updates.
In my task bar I have the red security shield with the white X in the middle of it.
When I click on it, it shows that my Automatic Updates have been turned OFF. I clicked on the box to "Turn on Automatic Updates." A window box opens saying "We're sorry. The Security Center could not change your Automatic Updates settings. To try changing these setting yourself, go to the system control panel. On the Automatic updates tab, select Automatic (recommended), then click OK." When I go to the Automatic Updates it shows that it is already turned ON?
I tried clicking it OFF and turning it back ON. NO difference. I went to the All Programs tab and selected Microsoft Update. It took me to the website to update. It had a Red Circle with the word New! in it. The site "Try Microsoft Update Today." I clicked on Start Now. The site then showed "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view." Not sure what is going on and how I can fix this.

Thank you for your help.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:47 PM

In that case try this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-tdss-tdl3-alureon-rootkit-using-tdsskiller
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 grg.clny

grg.clny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:14 PM

I ran the TDSSKiller and no infection was found. I updated Malwarebytes before this and ran a full scan and did not find anything. My system still shows that the Automatic Updates are turned OFF but when I go to the update tab it is turned ON?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:18 PM

Try running the "Microsoft Fix It" given on this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 grg.clny

grg.clny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:55 PM

I tried running the Microsoft Fix and it did not work.

I have the red shield in my task bar stating that my computer is at risk. When I go to the
Security Center it shows that my Automatic Updates are turned OFF. When I look at the Automatic Updates tab it
shows that the Automatic Updates are turned ON? I went to the Windows update page and tried to do an
update. It could not update and showed [Error number: 0x80070424].I did a Google search and found a site with a fix for this error, but I do not know this site or if this is a safe fix. I would post the link but I don't think we are suppose to do that. If someone knows the fix for this problem please let me know. I am pretty sure I did not have this problem before the fake XP Virus scan.

Thank you.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:04 PM

Try this one:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 grg.clny

grg.clny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

I tried running the Microsoft fix 50202 in the default mode. The program showed this message:

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2755.

??

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:31 PM

Click Start, select Run and type:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 atl.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll

Press enter after each one and wait for the success message.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 grg.clny

grg.clny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:39 PM

It looks like the problem has been fixed. The Security warning is gone. I was able to use the Windows update site. It showed no High Priority updates at this time. Thank you for your help.

Edited by grg.clny, 26 May 2011 - 08:40 PM.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:41 PM

You're welcome.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users