Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networks

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JannEd

JannEd

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:16 PM

So this laptop I was given to fix is all mine now. Toshiba Satellite A100/A105, Win XP Home SP3, Intel Celeron M, CPU 420 @ 1.60GHz, 1.60 GHz 448MG RAM (overclocked to max capability). I will be posting as things come up that I need to know, like this:

Apparently this computer was networked by the original owner. I need to find out how to stop the system from looking for or referring to other computers. There are three references to monitors in the Device Manager: Two 'generic monitors' and one Plug and Play monitor. No reference to this monitor which is ATA. Do I need to reinstall the driver for the chipset before I get rid of those? Thsnks in advance!!!

Jann thinking this is gonna be too much fun!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:20 PM

I'm surprised you didn't have it completely wiped, as that's normal procedure for computer transfer...
But anyhow, I'd get the latest drivers for everything (if you haven't already.) Create a restore point in System Restore, and then try deleting those two references. Then, if all goes well, install an newer version of the graphics AND chipset drivers.

#3 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:42 AM

I'm surprised you didn't have it completely wiped, as that's normal procedure for computer transfer...
But anyhow, I'd get the latest drivers for everything (if you haven't already.) Create a restore point in System Restore, and then try deleting those two references. Then, if all goes well, install an newer version of the graphics AND chipset drivers.

Normally that is what I would do. She has the recovery disk and the reinstall for XP Home. I am really intrigued by that machine! She did nothing but pay bills on it and file her taxes. Otherwise, it was pretty useless to her. There is a 'story' involved here: she bought it from Wal-Mart in 2008, took it home and when she turned it on, there was already a 'user' on it, with thousands of files, some dating back to 2003 (including the overclocking). She says she took it back and they said something like: too bad, how sad. As ignorant as she is, IMHO, I think she was trying to pull a fast one on WM. At least that is the mind-set.

So I will get the system restore disk and any other disk she has and go from there. Thanks for this answer. Will be getting on that in a bit.

Jann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users