Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search Engine Use Causes IE7 to Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 chug

chug

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:10 PM

Recently downloaded IE8 onto my Windows XP home edition system (Service 3 pack). Within hours multiple problems began, so I removed IE8, restarted computer so that IE7 automatically reengaged. But one problem "transferred" from IE8 by doing this. None of my available search engines work properly when used in the Search bar located in the upper left of screen across from the http: address bar. Some of the time it causes IE7 to shut down with just one keystroke into the search bar/box, sometimes I can enter the entire search & click the search symbol, but the end result is IE7 shuts down/closes. Some of the time, I get a window in which to select report error to microsoft, sometimes don't even get the window before the closing. And then every so often, it will work one time then back to closing. What does work is my AT&T homepage web search box powered by Yahoo. I can successfully use Google.com to search. BUT I REALLY NEED MY SEARCH BOX TO WORK. Can anyone talk me through the fix for this. IE7 came with this computer. I have tried System Restore which us not able to make a restore point prior to the IE8 download work, checked Add-ons, ran REGCURE, ran Norton Internet Security (no viruses). Microsoft's help guides/suggestions have are not specific to this type of problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:06 PM

Reinstall IE 8 is my suggestion...and stop using programs like Regcure.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 chug

chug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:08 PM

I apologize for my oft times not fully understanding what is being asked when it comes to computers, but "System Manufacturer and Model" of what exactly? My computer info: HP pavilion a705w designed for Microsoft Windows XP Home Version, Intel Celeron, 32bit, Service Pack 3, RAM 759 MB ---- or RegCure: by Paretologic. And my question is what is the risk of me updating once again to IE8 where my search engine problem actually began before switching back to IE7??

Edited by chug, 23 May 2011 - 06:09 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:37 PM

HP pavilion a705w is your system manufacturer (HP) and model (a705w).

<<And my question is what is the risk of me updating once again to IE8 where my search engine problem actually began before switching back to IE7??>>

I'm not a risk management person...but it seems to me that you have a problem...which you seem to think was caused by IE 8.

Whereas, it occurs to me that your problem may have existed before installing IE 8...since you have not posted any specifics on it/them, I can only guess.

Since whatever you did in your reversion efforts...didn't work, I don't see that you have anything to lose by trying to install IE 8.

IE 8 is the most secure version of IE...that's why I suggest installing it.

The following may be useful, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/how-do-i-uninstall-and-reinstall-ie8/6ca5ef39-3a6c-4af8-a9f9-5bb821027772 .

Louis

#5 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:06 AM

This may be of help: Downgrads IE8
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#6 chug

chug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:27 AM

Let me try to clarify the chain of events. IE7 is the original browser to my computer. It has worked flawlessly for 6+ years. About a year ago it underwent a clean-up assessment along with a memory increase, and as before, it has performed flawlessly. That includes use of my default GOOGLE Search Engine use from the top search box located across from the http address bar. Then several days ago my AT&T homepage powered by Yahoo began adding a message that my brower was outdated so why not update to IE8. Thought why not, so I clicked on their free link and I was off and working with my new browser. Immediately I did not like the search which now included 10 suggestions which I found very distracting. I sought instructions on how to disable that function (accomplished through options IE8 supplies through its click on options on that search bar). A few hours later, use of that search bar/box began shutting down my browser before I could complete any search entry. Enough was enough. I removed IE8 from All Programs, restarted my computer which reengaged IE7. IE7 worked as before EXCEPT for this problem with that particular search bar. My AT&T homepage websearch box works fine. I can go to Google.com and search from that location without problem. I have no problem going to any website from my favorites list. I cannot do a system restore to any date prior to that date of installing IE8. That's the history. With all of that, do you still think I should go ahead and install IE8 once again?? Will wait to hear from you before another install of IE8. Thanks.

#7 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:03 AM

You seem to think IE8 was the cause of your problem. I think You must have had 'other' issues causing your problem after you installed IE8, then, exasperated the problem by going back to IE7. I have same configuration and have never experienced a problem with IE8. But, of course, I never downgraded to a previous version, not knowing the cause. Also, uninstalls do not always work perfectly, leaving remnants behind which could cause problems.
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#8 chug

chug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:10 AM

Should a reinstall of IE8 be "clean" or will I again run the possibility of encountering this same problem? I realize you cannot be sure, but what are the prospects?

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:37 PM

What I would do is this:
Uninstall Regcure and any other program that you may have by Paretologic. All of them are bad news.
Download, install, update and run both MalwareBytes AntiMalware and SuperAntiSpyware
Get the free versions of both.
Scan the system with both programs doing the complete scan.
It could take cosiderable time so check on it every once in a while.
Remove all elements that both programs find.
Then reinstall IE8

I think we are dealing with malware.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 chug

chug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:46 PM

Wow! Following the steps suggested above to use MalwareBytes AntiMalware and SuperAntiSpyware free versions, my computer issues seem resolved concerning the IE7 shutdown when using my search engine in the top bar. I still am using IE7 for a few more days to be sure the problem truly is resolved....plus I need to gather courage before I attempt a second install of IE8. Seriously, even though I am told it had nothing to do with IE8 installation it's a case of "once bitten, twice shy". Oh, by the way, would heartily recommend SuperAntiSpyware...

#11 chug

chug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:47 PM

Forgot to say thanks, BLEEPIN TECH SHOP!!!!!!!

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:58 PM

Glad to hear that worked!

Did you uninstall Regcure and any other programs by Paretologic?
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users