Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Open A Domain That Is Working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mjuul1

mjuul1

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:55 AM

Hi people!

Iíve got this strange problem, which has begun some days ago. Both my browsers EI and FF suddenly will not access the domain of the university where I study, but all other domains seems to work without any problems. Naturally Iíve tried to switch off my firewall (F-Secure) but that didnít help. I know form others including the university Webmaster that the domain is working perfectly fine therefore the problem must be something on my pc. And finally I have no problem checking my e-mail from that domain using Outlook Express!
Any suggestions? Iím a bit confused here...

- Martin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:29 PM

Have you checked in IE Tools>Internet Options>Priavcy>Sites to see if you Domain has been added to you Blocked list.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 mjuul1

mjuul1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:51 AM

Have you checked in IE Tools>Internet Options>Priavcy>Sites to see if you Domain has been added to you Blocked list.

This is now checked and the domain was not on the list. And still no access to the specific domain. But thanks for the help.
Any other suggestions? I'm ready to try almost everything!

- Martin

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:30 AM

What happens/error message, when you try to access the domain of the university?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 mjuul1

mjuul1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:28 PM

What happens/error message, when you try to access the domain of the university?

Well it is just the usual when a page is unavailable. I canít remember the English name of that message, but in EI it is the one where the page has a number of suggestions to solve the problem Ė the first is using the ďrefreshĒ-button, the second is checking that the name in the address line written correctly and so forthÖ

#6 mjuul1

mjuul1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:29 AM

Problem solved! :thumbsup:

I found out that there was an error in my LAN settings. Instead of ďObtain DNS server address automaticallyĒ the ďUse the following DNS server addressĒ was chosen. I canít recall that I have made that change, so is it possible, that a hack, virus, Trojan or what ever could have done that? And if that is possible what are the consequences?

- Martin

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:59 AM

Glad to hear you got your problem solved, Martin. :thumbsup:
Sometimes there's no rhyme, or reason, behind settings that change for no apparent reason.
If that is the only problem you had, I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Are you using these basic security programs?
(They're all free.)

a≤ free - a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. a≤ fills this gap.
ewido security suite - offers protection against urgently growing threats like Trojans, Worms, Dialers, Hijackers, Spyware and Keyloggers.
Ad-Aware - A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.
Spybot S&D - Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.

These 2, will help prevent spyware/malware from being installed in the first place:

Spywareblaster - A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard - A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

If not, you need to. These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

When installing ewido security suite, under Additional Options uncheck:
Install background guard
Install scan via context menu

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

Other useful Tutorials:
Using Ad-Aware SE
Using SpywareBlaster
Using SpywareGuard
Using Ewido
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users