Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Build for Parents

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RockerBug17

RockerBug17

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:46 PM

Hi guys and girls. I'm working on the parts list for a planned build for my parents. They're currently still using a Compaq Presario from circa. 2000!! I know most of the ins and outs of how to build a PC. I'm not so experienced with matching parts for optimization and I'd rather not bottleneck a fresh PC. The most intensive task I can foresee for this build is basic video editing, transferring VHS to DVD or YouTube videos. Also, I'd like to build a PC capable of virtualization so my parents can enjoy the new PC at the same time.

My budget is $1000 for this build. Given that and my parameters of basic video editing and virtualization, what route would you go as far as parts are concerned? The parts don't have to be the latest releases or state of the art, just functional. Again, my parents are still using a Compaq Presario from circa. 2000 so, anything will be an improvement, lol.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:33 PM

With a $1000 budget, you could get a high-end gaming PC, for this, you can go higher-end. Keep in mind, AMD will be launching new CPU's around June 20th.

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 - A good mid-ATX case. It won't hold gigantic graphics cards, but it is a good case. $49

Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 - This is a good current generation motherboard. It has USB 3.0, DDR3, and allows for AM3 CPU's. If you are going to be using Crossfire, I suggest an 890FX motherboard. $99 (Before $15 mail-in rebate)

Graphics Card: HIS H685F1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB - The 6850 is a good mid-range graphics card. It will not allow you to play the most recent games at the highest settings, but you can do quite a bit with them. $164 (Before $15 mail-in rebate)

Power Supply: CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 (CMPSU-600CX) 600W - This can easily power this PC. $69 (Before $10 mail-in rebate)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz - This is AMD's entry-level six core CPU. It is not Black Edition, so it is not unlocked, but, if your media programs allow for more than four cores, this will be an excellent CPU. $159

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - Given your use case, I suggest getting two of these. $79 ($39 per kit)

Hard Drive One: OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD3-2AGT120G 3.5" 120GB - This is an SSD, I suggest getting the drive to install your OS and applications on. $199

Hard Drive Two: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB - This is where you store your data files. $43

ODD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - A basic drive is all you need. $20

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM - You need this... $99

Grand Total: $989 (Before rebates, taxes, and shipping)

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users