Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multi-computer backup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RF_artist

RF_artist

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:44 PM

Currently there are 3 laptops in the family:
XP machine with a 40GB HDD
Vista machine with a 320GB HDD
Win7 machine with a 500GB HDD

I would like to purchase an external USB 1TB HDD, partition it into three partitions, and use it to create images or clones of each of these three machines as a method of backing them up.

Is this a possible/practical way of doing backups? What would be my best bet for easy to use software for this (preferrable freeware) that would run under all three OS's? Opinions on which external hard drive to get?

Thanks.

edit: Would 'Redo Backup and Restore' work with three separate partions on an external drive?

Edited by RF_artist, 23 May 2011 - 04:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bulldawg23

Bulldawg23

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:31 PM

I would create a base image of each PC using Norton Ghost or Acronis and then backup the My Documents/Libraries folders periodically(every week or month or so) using scheduled backups with a free backup software like Cobian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users