Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Full System upgrade or cpu/os upgrade


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DUDEvonDudenstien

DUDEvonDudenstien

  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:13 PM

Hello All,

i have been toying with idea of upgrading my 5yr old dinosaur, my questions are should i upgrade my cpu/psu so i can run win 7?
or build a new rig from mobo up?
here is my setup:
Intel E6850, Evga Mobo 680 sli 775 LGA socket
nvidia 9600 gt(BFG overclocked)
400w psu.

i'm not loyal to Intel so i'm open to amd as well, i originally wanted to OC my current system but never got to it, so don't need to oc a new cpu. This system will be for playing Starcraft 2/Diablo 3 only and media/web-surfing, mostly to upgrade to win 7.
thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

  • BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:42 PM

You could probably keep your CPU and still run Windows 7. Given the age of your motherboard, I would not go through the hassle of upgrading it. I would hold off until the end of June and see how AMD's Bulldozer CPU's stack up before buying. If you are going for Windows 7, you should use 4GB or more RAM if you can, and, obviously, get the 64-bit version. If you're gaming, your graphics card is quite old but your PSU is not strong enough to handle the newer cards. If it were me, I would wait and upgrade at the beginning of July or the end of June, that way, I would get the most recent hardware.

3939.png

 


#3 killerx525

killerx525

    Bleepin' Aussie


  • Members
  • 7,220 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Melbourne, Australia
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:48 AM

You could upgrade the psu for now.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png


#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

    Bleepin' Flame Head


  • Members
  • 1,430 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pennsylvania
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:16 AM

I agree with DJ wait for the new AMD product to see which brand to buy and go all new. A sandybridge processor will run circles around any upgrade you could do to that system so why waste you money going from outdated to slightly less outdated?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users