Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick disk partion question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brc2000

brc2000

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:39 AM

Not sure if this is the right section, but anyway...

My PC hard drive is partitioned into 3 separate drives. The main drive (C:) has around 80gb and the other two partitions (D: and E:) have around 190gb each. A few months ago, I decided to move all of my music files to the E: drive for storage. What I want to know is if using a media player to play the files directly from the E: partition is safe and no worse from running from CD or DVD-ROM, or if it will somehow negatively affect my disk. I've been running it like that for a couple of months, but for some reason I got a bit paranoid recently (mainly because the summer tends to bring me bad news, computers-wise) and can't find any information on the web about it.

Thanks

Edited by brc2000, 23 May 2011 - 09:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:41 AM

I can't even imagine why you would think there might be a problem, but to ease your mind - no, it does not matter where the files are.

#3 brc2000

brc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:02 AM

So no problems if I access files in my E drive, directly from Winamp media player in the C drive? Good to know.

Thanks. Having my hard drive completely fail on me last year has made me insanely wary about these things, even though I know it happened because of a broken cooling system. Mainly it was this line on Wikipedia that worried me - "Reduces overall disk performance on systems where data is accessed regularly and in parallel on multiple partitions, because it forces the disk's read/write head to move back and forth on the disk to access data on each parition and to maintain and update file system administration areas on each partition."

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

"Reduces overall disk performance on systems where data is accessed regularly and in parallel on multiple partitions, because it forces the disk's read/write head to move back and forth on the disk to access data on each parition and to maintain and update file system administration areas on each partition."

Utter nonsense

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users