Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Recovery virus: Restoring Shortcuts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SirVire

SirVire

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:32 AM

Hello, I have a quick question for the gurus of Bleepingcomputer. Now, i have read the previous topics on Windows X Recovery Virus, unfortunately, this was after i had removed the virus and cleaned the temp folders; so i had inadvertently removed the folder containing the start menu and desktop shortcuts. My questions are:

1. Is there any way to restore the Shortcuts other than said temp folder?

2. Does the Virus affect the system restore files? (and would a system restore bring back either the temp folder or the shortcuts themselves?)

I await your reply.
-SirVire

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SweetTech

SweetTech

Agent ST

• Members
  • 13,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

Hi!

1. There are a couple of methods for restoring some of the shortcuts.

Which ones are you missing?

2. You won't be able to restore them from System Restore.

Restore Accessories Program Files Menu

Please download this tool here.

You will need to unzip the tool first.

Once you've unzipped the tool, please double-click on it to run it.

Ensure that the following check boxes are checked (as seen in this image below):

Posted Image

Once they are, click on the Restore button.

NEXT:

Restore Admin Tools Program Files Menu

Please download this tool here.

You will need to unzip the tool first.

Once you've unzipped the tool, please double-click on it to run it.

Click on the Restore Administrative Tools Items button.

As seen in this image below:

Posted Image

Have I helped you? If you'd like to assist in the fight against malware, click here Posted Image

The instructions seen in this post have been specifically tailored to this user and the issues they are experiencing with their computer. If you think you have a similar problem, please first read this topic, and then begin your own, new thread. I do not offer private support via Private Message.

#3 SirVire

SirVire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:34 PM

I am missing most of the programs from the start menu such as Microsoft office, log me in, malwarebytes, etc.; as well as the desktop shortcuts for such programs.

#4 SweetTech

SweetTech

Agent ST

• Members
  • 13,421 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:55 PM

What version of MS Office is this?

Have I helped you? If you'd like to assist in the fight against malware, click here Posted Image

The instructions seen in this post have been specifically tailored to this user and the issues they are experiencing with their computer. If you think you have a similar problem, please first read this topic, and then begin your own, new thread. I do not offer private support via Private Message.

#5 SirVire

SirVire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:56 PM

Office 2003

#6 SweetTech

SweetTech

Agent ST

• Members
  • 13,421 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:05 PM

Hi!

Please visit this URL here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821593

Scroll down to Method 2 and see if that brings back the items in your Start Menu.

#7 SirVire

SirVire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:38 PM

whoops, i made a mistake, its office 2007 >_< my bad. still im checking to see if the same process will work. ill reply back soon if it does

#8 SweetTech

SweetTech

Agent ST

• Members
  • 13,421 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:20 PM

It's not.

Use these instructions:

Restore Start Menu Folder for MS Office 2007

This is for Microsoft Office 2007:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
2. In Add or Remove Programs, click Microsoft Office 2007, and then click Change.
3. Click Add or Remove Features, and then click Continue.
4. Click Microsoft Office, and then click Continue.
5. When the update is complete, click OK, and then close Add or Remove Programs.

The Microsoft Office folder should now be showing in your start menu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users