Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Debating Motherboards... Again.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 What The Who

What The Who

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:14 AM

So here I am again, still questioning which motherboard to get. Right now, I'm considering these three;

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe

I like the fan-less designs of the A8N-SLI Premium and A8N32-SLI Deluxe, but I'm not sure how reliable they are in terms of heat. The A8N-SLI Deluxe seems to be the most reliable and most tested, whereas the A8N32-SLI Deluxe is the fancy new must-have technolgy. However, since it's so new, there's bound to be bugs and issues. Also, if I use 2 Video cards in the A8N32-SLI Deluxe, I'm left with 1 PCI slot. I'd kinda like to have 2, just as an option. But I don't know. The A8N-SLI Premium seems to be balanced fairly well in the middle.

Thoughts, Advice, and Opinions?

Many thanks,

What the Who
"If it doesn't make sense... It's probably true."

- Arlo Guthrie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:49 AM

The deluxe has a fan, it is the premium and A8N32 that has the fanless design, but that shouldn't be a problem if you've got a case with good airflow, like the Antec P180.

Performance vise the Premium and Deluxe are identical, and nice good products, but the A8N32 is superior. It is one of the best, if not the best, performing 939 boards. It's 8-phase design and other new technologies help keep it much cooler also. All this you do notice in the price though.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:01 PM

Well, I have a Raidmax Full Tower Scorpio 668 with 6 case fans (2 in front, 2 in back, 1 on the side, and 1 on top), so I think I should be alright on case flow.

I've seen alot of reviews saying that the fanless design doesn't keep the board all too cool. Is this true, or do these people just not know what they're doing? So how reliable is this fanless cooling design?

The one thing I don't like about the A8N32-SLI Deluxe is that if you use 2 Video Cards you are left with 1 open PCI slot. So far, I'm only going to be using 1 PCI slot, but who knows what the future will bring right?

- Arlo Guthrie

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:22 AM

I've seen alot of reviews saying that the fanless design doesn't keep the board all too cool. Is this true, or do these people just not know what they're doing? So how reliable is this fanless cooling design?

With six case fans I wouldn't be to worried. As long as you keep the insides cleaned and nice with the cable clutter at least somewhat under control, and make sure you've got some space abound the case for airflow you should be fine.

With the A8N32 you also get two PCIe x16 lanes, as opposed to the Premium and Deluxe, where you only get one and then when running in SLI mode both cards only run in X8 mode. But with the two X16 lanes on the A8N32, both cards will be running in x16 mode, and that will help performance wise.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:32 AM

Dear What,

What do you mean you are only left with one PCI slot? The ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 ATX AMD has two video card and three PCI slots.

I must say I like this board... a lot! Man, this is a nice board, I mean, this is a nice board! The copper heat sink pipes are nice but really not needed.

What would be really cool (no pun intended) is that the pipes would be hooked to the base of the CPU. Along with a big copper heat sink and fan, you will be sitting cool.

Now on the board cooling, two areas get really hot when in constant use. The first is the CPU and the second is the Ram.

In my experience I found that the chipset really does not get that hot and with the small heat sink cools quickly.

Something to remember! If you get the top of the line PCI-E video cards they will have to be cooled as well and they come with shoddy fans. Don't think for a second those puny fans are going cool your video cards.

ASUS and ATI have admitted to attaching less then effective fans to their video cards. Their reply is that you should have a case with plenty of cooling. Ha :thumbsup:

Cooling is the first thing you should think about when building a gamers computer. If you take the time now, you will have the fun later.

Let us know,

junkdk :flowers:
Your Hardware Guide.

#6 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:04 AM

What do you mean you are only left with one PCI slot? The ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 ATX AMD has two video card and three PCI slots.

I've been led to believe that putting anything in the pci slot right next to a video card is less than a good idea, heat wise. Doubley so when running in SLI. Have I been mis-informed?

Something to remember! If you get the top of the line PCI-E video cards they will have to be cooled as well and they come with shoddy fans. Don't think for a second those puny fans are going cool your video cards.

ASUS and ATI have admitted to attaching less then effective fans to their video cards. Their reply is that you should have a case with plenty of cooling.

I'm looking at getting 2 ASUS Video cards, so what would you recommend as a solution? Can I buy better replacement fans for the video cards? If not (or if not recommended without an engineering degree), what are my options here?

What the Who

- Arlo Guthrie

#7 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:33 AM

So, overall then, the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe is the way to go?

Anyone have any thoughts on how I can make sure the vid cards don't get too hot?

- Arlo Guthrie

#8 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:31 PM

the use of about three 120mm fans will keep air moving very nicely >>>> some worry about noise >>>> but i can plug my ears with the $$$$$$$ i will save not burning up expensive compoents

the antec P160 and up cases are awesome

the Coolermaster Praetorian 730 is not slouch either

you had better be looking for a real kick butt PSU / definetly an Enermax >>> Seasonic PC Power & Cooling >> forton etc of at least 650 watts those video cards of which you speak will use up 125 watts EACH plus a dual xcore CPU another 135-150 thats a load dude >>>>> your house lights will flicker when you boot up LOL

this is my favorite
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/11/str...est/page15.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users