Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error code 654C:041C wont boot to OS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 2Oblivion

2Oblivion

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:51 AM

Hi all newbie to the forum needs some help straightening out the following problem:
Came home after extended vacation to find black screen on Dell E510 PC running XP Professional. This had a new 500GB swapped into by a buddy of mine that has more skills than me. He has moved so I can't get some help from him. And yes the family member that uses this machine the most did not back up their data on disks as I have preached and is now screaming for a fix.
I know a little but am out of my league on this.
It gets to the boot up menu but will not boot to any of the modes on the list not even last configuration. In the setup menu there is a boot utility that lets you test your hardware. Everything checked out except the System Timer. It says Error Code 654C:041C msg. Channel 2 is not operating correctly. No periodic ticks. The realtime clock is probably not functioning.
I have searched the Dell Website for 24 hours and the web and can't get any headway on if this I have narrowed it down to these but don't know which to pursue.
cmos battery needs replacing
ram
motherbd failure
or missing master boot record

I tried checking all the ram in dimm slot one and when the computer attempts boot up it gives 2 short beeps. but still will not go into safe mode nor last known configuation. when the ram is all in its original slots there is no beeping. IT has 512 in dimm 1 and 3 and 1GB in dimm 2 and 4

I have very little hardware experience and would be grateful for some help. This maybe was discussed already but I could not find anything close so I joined the forum hoping to a person willing to give me some steps to follow.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:25 AM

CMOS battery replacement...is eacy and cheap...a weak battery can cause the symptoms described.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/articles/cmosreplace.asp , ignore suggestions to write down settings.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users