Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring Start Menu

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dcmadden

dcmadden

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:41 AM

Hi There,

I was recently the victim of the dreaded windows recovery virus. That was fine I have removed the virus from the box no problems,
However it managed to corrupt the Start Menu. The Start menu contents is gone never to be seen again, I have checked every where. I believe this sorry excuse for malware has deleted it during the infection.
I know other people have had the same issue, here is the latest topic on the subject start menu problem

The question I have is can I regenerate my start menu based on the applications I have installed? If I can how would I go about doing this?

Regards,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SweetTech

SweetTech

Agent ST

• Members
  • 13,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:48 AM

dcmadden,

Could you please provide me with a full list of what folders in your All Programs in the Start Menu are empty?

Have I helped you? If you'd like to assist in the fight against malware, click here Posted Image

The instructions seen in this post have been specifically tailored to this user and the issues they are experiencing with their computer. If you think you have a similar problem, please first read this topic, and then begin your own, new thread. I do not offer private support via Private Message.

#3 dcmadden

dcmadden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:55 AM

Hi

Here is the listing, when in cmd all of them say modified 12/5/11 which would be the date I had the virus. All of the Directories remained, however the contents .exe etc, have been deleted.

Accessories
Administrative Tools
Adobe
Alice Greenfingers 2
Alice Greenfingers en Espaņol
ASUS
ASUS Utility
AVS4YOU
BitTorrent
BlackBerry
CalorieKing
Catalyst Control Center
DOSBox-0.74
FileZilla FTP Client
Game Park
Games
GOM Player
Intel PROSet Wireless
JMicron
Lavasoft
Maintenance
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Microsoft Games for Windows Marketplace
Microsoft Office
Microsoft Office Live Add-in
Microsoft Silverlight
Mozilla Firefox
SRS Labs
Startup
Vancouver 2010
VideoLAN
Windows Live
WinRAR

Regards,

Damo

#4 SweetTech

SweetTech

Agent ST

• Members
  • 13,421 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

Hi Damo!

Please visit this link here

Scroll down to Option 1.

Follow the instructions outlined there.

If you need to restore the items in your other User Account Start Menu, then please proceed with Option #2.

Scroll down to Option 2.

You will want to make sure that you click on the download button that is below the version of Windows 7 that you have.

Follow the rest of the instructions in that post. The last thing you should follow is Step #8.

The above should bring back the default items for the version of Windows you have.

I need some time to think in regards to the other ones.

Have I helped you? If you'd like to assist in the fight against malware, click here Posted Image

The instructions seen in this post have been specifically tailored to this user and the issues they are experiencing with their computer. If you think you have a similar problem, please first read this topic, and then begin your own, new thread. I do not offer private support via Private Message.

#5 dcmadden

dcmadden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:22 AM

Hi SweetTech,

I followed the instructions and I have the default items back. Sweet.

I also tried createing a new Admin profile to see if it would populate a new start menu, but my assumption was wrong. If you can work out how to get the third party programs back, I will be for a while at least in your debt.

Thank you so much for your help.

Damo

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:46 AM

>>If you can work out how to get the third party programs back, I will be for a while at least in your debt<<

Easy-Peasy! This should help:

How to Add or Delete Start Menu All Programs Shortcuts in Windows 7 http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/296-start-menu-all-programs-add-delete-shortcuts.html

:)

#7 SweetTech

SweetTech

Agent ST

• Members
  • 13,421 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:06 PM

What version of MS Office do you have?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users