Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

video file cannot be played or deleted

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PaedragGaidin

PaedragGaidin

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:36 AM

Hi y'all. :) Yesterday I had a weird problem with an .avi video I was watching. It is about 40 minutes long, and played fine until it hit the 28:12 mark, at which point the player froze. At first, I was able to tab out to a different window, but after a few seconds the computer became completely unresponsive. I was forced to reboot the old fashioned way; startup went to scandisk because "one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency." However, no errors were found. I booted into safe mode and attempted to play the video, and the same thing happened (the first time this computer has ever frozen while in safe mode!). Rebooted into safe mode again, no scandisk this time, tried to delete the file using Eraser, and after the first pass, the computer froze again. Booted yet again into safe mode (again, no scandisk), and I ran full scans with Spybot Search & Destroy, MalwareBytes, and Microsoft Security Essentials; all scans were clear.

I was wondering if y'all had any idea what's going on.

I am using Media Player Classic 6.4.9.1.

System specs:

Dell Inspiron 1545
Pentium Dual Core T4200 @ 2.00 GHz
3.0 GB RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit edition w/ service pack 1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:06 PM

I would try running the chkdsk /r command (which is 5-step), as opposed to the system-invoked chkdsk (which is 3-step).

See Mthod Onw at http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users