Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help from computer genius - computer freezes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Olenka

Olenka

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:40 AM

Hello,
OK I am having a HUGE problem with me computer. While I'm working on it in regular mode Windows freezes. I can move the mouse around and the keyboard responds, but when I so to my task bar I just get that circle thing that says it's thinking. If I leave it alone for a few mins, then the whole computer stops responding and I have to do a hard shutdown. I have tried to Google this problem many times but I can't find an answer as to what may be causing it. I thought it might be a virus, but when I try to run and virus scanner, the computer stops in the midsts of it. I can work in Safe Mode with no hangups so I think it might be one of my programs that runs in regular mode. Does anyone know what is going on with my computer? Do you think I should try and reset it to factory settings? Any advice would be grateful seeing as how I am going nuts trying to figure out what's wrong. Thanks for any help you can give me!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jim Ow

Jim Ow

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:07 AM

It sounds to me like you have what's called bad sectors on your hard drive. This is physical damage on a hard drive so that when the laptop is trying to access the hard drive it can't see this data due to the damage and crashes.

The only way to be sure is to take the drive out of the machine and run a sector scan using HDTune on the hard drive externally, you could use a boot disk but I'm not familar with the rules, so won't post the name, some forums don't like people using them.

Worst case, your looking at a replacement hard drive. If you need more detailed intructions please PM me.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:32 AM

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

#4 Olenka

Olenka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:39 AM

Allan,
When I went to msconfig under "selective start up" I can only uncheck Load system Services and Load startup items, I cannot uncheck Use original Boot Configuration. Should I still go ahead and do it. Also, and suggestion as to which one I should check back when I boot up next time? Thanks for the advice!

Edited by Olenka, 23 May 2011 - 07:40 AM.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:00 AM

Allan,
When I went to msconfig under "selective start up" I can only uncheck Load system Services and Load startup items, I cannot uncheck Use original Boot Configuration.

That's fine. You're not supposed to change the Boot Configuration.

#6 Olenka

Olenka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:29 PM

Allan,
I unchecked "Load System Services" and "Load Startup Items" but when I went to Apply, it checked Diagnostic Startup and re-checked "Load System services". So I let it go and then restarted my computer. After the first screen where it says "Press ESC for..." it went to a blue screen that went by too fast for me to read all the information on it but I did catch the end where it said something to the likes of "Dumping information in memory" then it went to the screen that asked if i wanted to start in Safe Mode. I chose to start Windows normally, then that blue screen with all the writing came up, and after that again asking me to Start in Safe mode. I chose to start in Safe Mode with networking, however, my wireless didn't work then. I finally was able to restart my system correctly when I went to MSCONFIG and chose Normal Startup. Any ideas as to what's going on? Thanks for your help!

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:51 PM

1) When you run in safe mode do you have the same freezing problem?

2) Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

3) Right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type:chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

4) To check the ram, download memtest (http://www.memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

#8 Olenka

Olenka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:10 PM

Allan,
Here's what the Bluescreen view thing told me, I hope it tells you something,

==================================================
Dump File : Mini052311-03.dmp
Crash Time : 5/23/2011 5:05:32 PM
Bug Check String : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x0000000a
Parameter 1 : 0x00000000
Parameter 2 : 0x00000002
Parameter 3 : 0x00000001
Parameter 4 : 0x8227888c
Caused By Driver : epfwwfp.sys
Caused By Address : epfwwfp.sys+8d84
File Description : ESET Personal Firewall driver
Product Name : ESET Smart Security
Company : ESET
File Version : 4.0.314
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini052311-03.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 6002
Dump File Size : 138,368

Dump File : Mini052311-02.dmp
Crash Time : 5/23/2011 4:51:32 PM
Bug Check String : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x0000000a
Parameter 1 : 0x00000000
Parameter 2 : 0x00000002
Parameter 3 : 0x00000001
Parameter 4 : 0x8223688c
Caused By Driver : epfwwfp.sys
Caused By Address : epfwwfp.sys+8d84
File Description : ESET Personal Firewall driver
Product Name : ESET Smart Security
Company : ESET
File Version : 4.0.314
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini052311-02.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 6002
Dump File Size : 138,368

I am going to run a scan on my hard disk like you told me, but if it's the same thing as doing an error check and fix then I tried that and it hangs up at about 20%. I'll let you know the results of it. Also, I was wondering if there is any way to check the RAM without burning that program to a disk. I am currently living in Senegal and they are kind of hard to come by. If there is no way then I'll try and track down a CD. Thanks for all your help!

#9 Olenka

Olenka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:56 AM

Allan,
I ran the scan last night and of course it stopped at the same spot, Stage 4 of 5 with only 22% scanned. I don't know what keeps hanging it up. Sorry that I have so many question, but as I said this is a problem that no one seems to be able to figure out! Thank you in advance for anymore advice you can provide for me!

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:17 AM

The blue screen errors are being caused by a conflict with your ESET firewall. Disable it and see if you have the same problem.

As for the problem completing a checkdisk scan, did you run it as I suggested? If so, there could also be a problem with your hard drive. Go to the website of your hard disk manufacturer and download their diagnostic utility. Burn it to disk (sorry, but that's what needs to be done) and run it.

#11 Olenka

Olenka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for the advice Allan, I'll try and find a CD some where. I'll also disable the firewall and see if that helps. It might take me a couple of days to track down a CD. Would you like to know the results after I do this? Thanks once again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users