Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NOT GOOD for Laptop to Fall on Floor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:49 AM

MSI 32/64 BIT LAPTOP WINDOWS 7

WELL, THE THING IS that my laptop fell from my chair arm to the floor (yes, I know, is not a good idea - my dog did it) :hysterical: and since then it will not connect to the net and so I was gonna take it in to see if it can be fixed but first I wanted to back up my stuff yannow. So unfortunately when i tried to do that the disk drive is not working. it says

"this whatever is working properly" but it ain't.

There is a big red X on my internet connection now and i reinstalled the driver and it didnt change it (I suspected it might have problem because the end of the ethernet cord was jacked up. But I did not expect the floppy drive to be messed up as its on the other side of computer.

Is there some way I can check this out to see whats up since it says its operating properly? I want to back up my system or at least copy my pictures and music and can't seem to do it.

Thanks! :dance:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:27 AM

Seems to me that you seriously disrupted a internal connection or cracked a Printed Circuit board where it counts the most.

Anytime a laptop is dropped more than 5 inches, the impact is just unpredictable, but something has to give.

Laptops also have what is called Zero Insertion Force connectors that have lock down levers to hold ribbon wires in place and complete an electrical connection.

Those can flip open if enough impact is imposed on them.

You can not tell from the outside of the laptop that this has happened, but being your hardware no longer functions properly now is a clear indication something is seriously wrong on the inside.

It's your choice on what you would like to do, either bring the laptop in for professional servicing or if you feel you have what it takes, I will be willing to provide you with as much information as I can for you to try and attempt the repair yourself.

But I want to warn you laptops are delicate pieces of hardware, you can make matters worse if you do not feel comfortable doing such a repair.

If you are interested in this information I would need to know the complete make and model number of this laptop.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:16 PM

Thank you very much for your offer to assist and the information you provided as i haven't a clue about the inner workings.

I am going to send the computer to the manufacturer and i already discussed it with them but at the time I did not know the cd drive was not working as well.

I'm trying to back up what I have on the computer but now due to the cd drive issue, I'm looking for other ways, maybe a flash drive????

I have GOT to get this in the mail ASAP for them to look at it.

How much do you think it would cost to have something like this repaired? I'd appreciate your estimate?

P.S. - Like your name - my son's name too. I guess some fish story about a shark is giving the name BRUCE a bad rap. Bah humbug. <_<

Edited by kcsummer, 24 May 2011 - 09:19 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:21 PM

If its not covered by the warranty, costly, but youd have to contact the person doing the repairs for a estimate. As for backing it up, if you have a desktop style computer, depending on the type of hard drive, you may be able to remove the hard drive, and slave it into a desktop. If its a SATA drive, and your desktop has SATA, then its plug and play, if your hard drive has IDE, you may need a desktop with 3.5 inch IDE, and get a 3.5 inch to 2.5 inch IDE adaptor. The other way, if you cant get any sort of network connection is likely going to be flashdrives/external hard drives if available.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

I'm going to see if it will work on a 4 GB Sony Memory Stick. I have a PSP if the memory stick isn't the right size maybe I can copy to my PSP with a memory stick already in it.

All that size thing just flew right over my head - I'm not too keen on figures and so forth and I'm sure you explained it fine, it just doesn't register with me. Thanks for your help - I guess I could look on line and see just to get an idea what a new cd drive would cost.

What do you think about this? I cannot log on to my computer to my modem which I connect to my computer with an ethernet cable. What if I had a wireless router? Would whatever is keeping it from working with the ethernet also defeat the wireless? Thanks, I know its another issue but just thought I'd ask rather than start a new thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users