Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Printer Not Recognized in Vista

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:07 PM

Hi. I have an older HP Laserjet that has always been recognized by both of my laptops. Now my newer HP G60 laptop won't recognize it, and I have tried all the usual fixes. The printer still runs on the other computer, so I know all the mechanical stuff is good: the cable, the port on the printer, etc.

I have also run CC Cleaner and cleaned out all memory caches, etc. Additionally, I have tried loading the HP drivers first, but still the printer is not recognized through the USB connection.

Can someone please send me a procedure for fixing this problem? Is there another free registry cleaner I could use other than CC (which has always worked for me in the past)?

Thank You,
Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:34 PM

So the printer works on the other computers with the same usb cable and same usb port right?

We need more information about this issue.
What is the model of the HP printer? (ex: hp laserjet 1320)
What is the OS name and Version of your Windows Vista?
You can get the information by clicking on the Windows Orb/Pearl > Type msinfo32 on the search box above the Windows Orb/Pearl.

Patience is a true virtue. Never give up, never surrender.

#3 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:59 AM

Yes, the printer is working right now on another laptop, same USB cable, same everything. It has also worked successfully on this very laptop, the HP G60, for over three years. This problem has occurred in the past, but was always fixed by emptying out the temp files, etc. This time it won't fix it.

The HP Printer model is an ancient LaserJet HP-5N, the original boat-anchor LJ's that came out in the late 1980's. I don't need a new printer, since I only need B&W and this printer NEVER breaks.

The OS is Windows Vista Home Premium, version 6.0.6002.

Again, to reiterate, this same printer with the identical cable is fully functional on another laptop.

I have successfully run both Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware on this laptop, which found nothing serious.

I do appreciate your response. Any guidance and ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks Again, EducatedGuess.

#4 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:53 AM

Yes, the printer is working right now on another laptop, same USB cable, same everything. It has also worked successfully on this very laptop, the HP G60, for over three years. This problem has occurred in the past, but was always fixed by emptying out the temp files, etc. This time it won't fix it.

What were the changes that you recall before it stopped working?
Is this the only printer on this computer?
It's really odd for a printer not to work out without something triggering the a change.
In the printers list (from control panel), how many LaserJet HP-5N printer icons do you see?
Do you have pending documents?
Please let me know if you have any clarifications on my questions.

#5 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:26 AM

Hi, thanks again for responding.

I am very familiar with control panel and the printer thing, that is why this is so puzzling. To answer your questions:

1. No changes that I remember
2. There is one other printer listed, not attached. It is a regular HP inkjet, never a problem, always works.
3. No Laserjets listed in the printer area, only the inkjet. No icons appear when I connect the LJ via USB, nor when I turn it on.
4. No pending documents in any printer.

That's all I can think of that is pertinent. Thanks again for answering back.

#6 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

Sounds like a driver issue to me since the other printer is working there as you stated.
Make sure the other printer is unplugged from the computer before doing the following steps.

1. Make sure that the LaserJet HP-5N is connected and turned on.
2. Lets go to your device manager and check if you see the printer from there.
Look for universal serial bus controllers and if you expand it, look for usb printing support or unknown device.
If you do not see it, if possible you can provide a screenshot of your device manager.

I'll stop from here till I get a reply from you.

#7 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:10 PM

OK, thanks, I'm at work all day and the laptop is at home, so I will try to send you this tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:19 PM

Those old HP Laserjets just never break!
One of the best series of printers HP ever made.

Im thinking driver as well.
You might try installing it manually and use the HP LaserJet Series II driver.
Its generic enough to work with almost any laser printer.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:26 PM

Right,
Once your done doing the following steps below, you can install the resident driver just like Eyesee suggested.

1. Make sure that the LaserJet HP-5N is connected and turned on.
2. Lets go to your device manager and check if you see the printer from there.
Look for universal serial bus controllers and if you expand it, look for usb printing support or unknown device.
If you do not see it, if possible you can provide a screenshot of your device manager.

#10 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:23 AM

Thanks for everyone who responded to this thread. I tried many different approaches and never could solve it. I finally reinstalled the OS, which fixed the problem. Again, it has been a while, but I really appreciate this board so I wanted to thank everyone who chipped in. Thanks Again!

#11 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:20 AM

JimFaster, thanks but the problem was much deeper than that. Even if you installed the drivers manually, the computer could not "see" the printer and would not communicate with it. Therefore, the printer window would show the printer and driver installed, but it would not print. I tried this at least ten times. And the cable was good too (since the same printer and cable printed with three other laptops). Reformat was the best solution, and it fixed the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users