Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thumb drives

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jacktheripper

jacktheripper

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:10 PM

I have recently upgraded from XP to Win 7 and have discovered that inserting a brand new USB drive (fresh out of the pack - DSE brand) into a spare port displays a message saying that the drive is recognised & ready to be used. However when trying to access the drive in question, it disappears from the visual display as if it doesn't exist; when trying the drive with any other port - the same message is displayed but the drive doesn't appear.
I have discovered that by turning on the hidden drives/folders option, the drive's icon appears but right-clicking on it and selecting 'open' generates the message: 'please insert a disk into removable disk (G)', or selecting 'format' from the same menu generates: 'There is no disk in drive G-insert a disk and then try again'.
Plugging any other USB device into the port/s works as normal. Another interesting point is that the USB drive is recognised and accessible with Windows XP.
Do USB drives have to be configure in some way to make them compatible with Windows 7?

Edit: Moved topic from Win 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:26 PM

Have you been able to use any other flash drive successfully on the Windows 7 system? I can't think of any reason a flash drive should need anything special for Windows 7, it should just work. If other flash drives function on that system, I'd suspect it's just a weird flash drive. I've had off-brand flash drives not work properly on one OS and be OK on another (if you're in Australia like me DSE will be Dick Smith Electronics, part of the Woolworths group and the drive could be from anywhere). For this reason I now always use Lexar drives and have not had any strange behavior.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users