Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

everything is gone? but its not??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bryanisagator

bryanisagator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:16 PM

so i got onto my computer, and i noticed some of my desktop icons were gone. i also had a weird "windows 7 recovery" icon on my desktop as well. after a few seconds of confusion, it opened itself and started to "scan" my computer and said it was fixing the problem. i wouldnt let me X out of it or minimize it, so i knew something was wrong. i ran malwarebytes, and it found something and i delted it, and figured after i restarted it it would be fine. but i was wrong.

after the restart, everything was gone from my desktop but malwarebytes and microsoft offrice, and ALL of my files, folders, muusic, pictures, videos, EVERYTGING, was gone!! but, when i go to the search menu under my documents, everything comes up. and when i go to microsoft office and go to my recent documents, i am able to pull things up.

so i re-ran my malwarebytes, and it found about 6 new items, and it said it delted them. now, it appears to be virus free, and yet i still cannot see any of my files or folders on my desktop, nor in my "documents" folder. but i am able to search for them!!

whaaat happened?!!? thank you:/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:38 AM

MalwareBytes is not an anti virus utility. Did you run a scan with your AV?

#3 bryanisagator

bryanisagator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:54 AM

i do not have an AV.. or i dont think i do?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,600 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:59 AM

1) Post in the Am I Infected forum
2) NEVER run a system without a good anti virus program installed, always resident, and always updated. Tell the folks in the Am I Infected forum that you do not use an AV when you post there, and ask them to recommend one before you are finished.

#5 bryanisagator

bryanisagator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:19 AM

okay, thank you so much!

#6 bryanisagator

bryanisagator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:46 PM

no answer on my other topic?

#7 Cliifc

Cliifc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:38 PM

Solution is Unhide.exe, which can be downloaded from this site at this forum:

Security > Am I infected? What do I do? > Virus removed start menus and documents

Search for Unhide.exe in a post by Quietman7. It cleaned up my regular files, bu it looks like I need to manually find my desktop files & favorites.

Web searches for the Unhide.exe produces many hits & I suspect most are malware.

I have a similar problem. Microsoft Security Essentils identified Trojan:WinNT/Alureon.S. MalwareBytes mostly removed it, but IE9 was still trying to connect to a couple of suspicious IP addresses, which were blocked. I found that many folders & files appeared to be missing, maybe deleted. In a Command window, DIR does not display them, but if I navigate to to a known location, I can run executables. I downloaded Pandora Recovery from CNET; PR did not display any of the missing folder/files as deleted, but did register them when I turned off "Show deleted items only".

Edited by Cliifc, 24 May 2011 - 02:08 PM.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:42 PM

Download and run UnHide

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users