Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Recovery Malware Empty Program Files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PCguy123

PCguy123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:15 PM

Newbie to this site...this is my first post here.

Last week, the dreaded Windows Recovery console malware found it's way onto my PC. First thing I noticed was the recovery icon and the transparent destop icons (which are now fixed). I spent a lot of time this week researching how to remove this, using Super Anti Spyware, Malbytes, Combo fix...Looks like the malware is gone, but here's the thing. The start up program files menu shows all programs from my C:\drive as empty folders - programs on other drive show up as normal and can be accessed. Once the Malware appeared to be gone, I did a restore point, first I went back about a week, the program files were still empty...then I went back to April 1, 2011 and they were still empty. I read that this malware somehow deletes shortcuts, but I have several programs that I cannot access (zune software, itunes etc). I tried using unhide.exe and althought it fixed the transparent desktop icons, the program file problem is not resolved. Also, my windows installer wasn't accessible (I repaired that), but when I went to reload itunes twice, to C:\drive, the program loaded, but desktop icon does not appear. When I access the program folder, there's no .EXE files. Oddly enough, when I d/l utility programs to help fix the malware problem they appear on my desktop. I run Kapersky, Iobit360 and tried using some other utility tools that I wound up uninstalling.

Any recommendations would be great!

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 23 May 2011 - 02:26 PM.
Moved from Malware Removal Logs to Am I infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dan Reid

Dan Reid

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

I have this exact same problem on two PCs. Any info on the fix would be greatly appreciated.

#3 Fizzeles

Fizzeles

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:45 PM

Just had the same problem as both of you. Ran ComboFix and it seemed to take care of everything without problem.

#4 PCguy123

PCguy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:04 PM

I used combo fix and it didn't help. Did you run it before removing the maleware or after?

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:16 PM

YOpu shouldn't run ComboFix on your own. ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer.
It also is part of a fix.

Having run ComboFix we need to see that and a DDS log.

Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
Skip the GMER step and instead post the ComboFix log you posted earlier.

Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users