Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 0xC004D401

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Scroobs

Scroobs

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:14 PM

Hi, woke up this morning and had an Error 0xC004D401 popup on my desktop. Originally tried the "search online" option included in the popup, which sent me to the Microsoft website to re-validate my computer, but it kept going on without anything happening so I closed it. Not really sure what to do about it, so I googled it and tried numerous things to fix it without any real success. Assuming it was Malware, I've ran Rkill, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware. Rkill terminates the same file in my Avast directory over and over, Malwarebytes found nothing in the 3 full scans I did, and all SuperAntiSpyware found was a bunch of tracking cookies.

This leads me to think I don't have anything suspicious, but I can't open my Control Panel. Everything else is fine, all programs run, internet works fine, but every time I open my Control Panel, it opens and closes immediately. So if I don't have a virus, I just need to know how to re-validate my computer and get access to my CP again, but if I do have one, I need to know how to find it and get rid of it. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

EDIT: The popup was originally popping up every 15 minutes or so, then I ran RKill and it stopped. but right after posting this it started up again. It says the following:
Error 0xC004D401
Description: The security processor reported a system file mismatch error.

Edited by Scroobs, 22 May 2011 - 06:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scroobs

Scroobs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:53 AM

Alright, fixed it. After 2 reboots and checking the disk, it's fine now. Woo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users