Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hardware Not Auto-Loading

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tribe23

tribe23

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:08 PM

My computer went down and I had to have it formatted and Windows XP re-installed. Since I got all of this done, anything I plug into the USB ports (video camera, digital camera, flash drives, etc.) are not being auto-recognized. I am getting a "New Hardware Wizard" prompt that asks if Windows can search for the correct hardware and then I get an error that says the information was not found and the device was not loaded properly. Obviously there is a setting that has changed with the re-install of Windows that is not allowing it to auto-load the software from any external devices I plug into the machine. I have the CDs with the software for some of the devices, but not all of them. And obviously no software for the flash drives. I was told that whoever re-installed Windows for me didn't do it properly and everything is needing to be manually installed the way it is currently set up (drivers, etc.). How can this get changed? Since I don't have all of the software for my devices there is no way I'll be able to download the drivers manually for them. I've tried searching online and found a few of them on the manufacturer's sites, but several of them are outdated and no longer available. Advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:57 PM

Since this only occurs with USB devices (which should be plug-and-play), I would uninstall all USB controllers in Device Manager and reboot the system (the USB controllers automatically reinstall).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users